1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dying Pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M@ddest_H@tter!, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Well, heres the deal. I picked up a 97 MIM Jazz bass not to long ago for a steal. I have played it fairly often with awesome results. When I plugged it in at band practice today...it just sounded weaker. I had it run through a distortion pedal, and with the pedal on, it was loud as can be, but when I turned off the pedal, i could barely hear it. So I then plugged the bass directly into my cab and it was still quiet. Attempting to troubleshoot the problem more I plugged up my other bass ( a squier deluxe active 5) no issues what so ever. So my question is, should I just go ahead and drop in an Audere JZ3 to fix the problem, or is it the p'ups? Many thanks in advance fellow TB'ers

I did a search on it and could not find anything directly related to this issue.

Best Regards,
    Matt

2. Typically when pickups die they just cut out completely. Are you sure it isn't your amp that is having problems. Try the amp with another bass and see if is any better and/or try your bass with a different amp to see if it works with better with it.

3. is it active? because your problem might lie within the battery or perhaps a bad cable

4. Nah, its passive. I swapped cables, but didn't swap amp. I don't think it could be the amp though, cause I swapped two different basses on that amp. One passive and one active...the other two basses worked just fine, its just the 97 Jazz...Im stumped.

5. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    the solder on your input jack is probably just messed up.

Most likely a very quick fix.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Have you changed brands/type of strings lately?

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    bad jack, intermittent pot (even a dirty pot can give this issue...didja try rocking the knob on and off quickly was there static or shunting of level up and down??) ? capacitor that is going bad? pups, at least ime, don't start dying like batteries and fade out, they work or they don't...that is weird tho...hope you find a remedy.

8. R379

When I first got it I had some GHS Boomers put on it, but no I haven't changed them since I got it.

Hover,

I checked all the wiring, and the tone pot is a little loose, but when I turned the knobs (all of them) I didn't get any static or anything. I had one of my friends who works in Avionics on the F-16, I had him check all of the soders and they were good too.

So I'm guessing I should try the audere jz3.

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    IMO you should get the problem resolved by a tech before you move on to the Audere. You might not fix it with an onboard preamp. Besides that, fixing it and getting it back to where it was will likely be cheaper.

10. Thats some great advice...I'll take it to my tech this week, or rather, I will have my wife do it since I'll be playing war all week! WOOOHOOOO........blech