Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by btbassist, May 26, 2004.

1. For some reason, every time I buy strings, they seem to go dead after a month. I've used different strings, but they all go flat. Is there something wrong with the neck?
  2. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    hehe, yep they do go dead after a month. There are several ways to refresh them such as removeing them and soaking them in rubbing alcohol(My favorite), Boiling them, or spraying them with automotive brake cleaner. This should buy you another month or maybe two.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont see how that is relavent to the neck. Do you sweat a lot? Oily hands? Always wash your hands before you play bass, maybe not always with soap, because that will dry out your hands and make them produce more oils, but rinse them, and wipe down your strings with a rag after you play.Cleaner strings = longer lasting strings.

Do you have an aggresive playing style? Do you use a pick?
  4. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    I haven't tried the soaking, boiling or brake fluid treatments, but, I've been using DR strings. IME, they last a long time. They do lose the zing after about a month, but they don't dull out, still a lot of clarity. I've only been playing out on the average, twice a week. And, my hands don't get as sweaty as the next guy. So, considering how often you play and your body chemistry, YMMV.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had a sound engineer that used to call me "acid hands" because I could ruin a set of strings in one performance. My sweat is very acidic and if I don't keep my hands and bass clean it eats not only the strings but the other metal bits as well. I wash my hands so much now that my wife thinks I am obssessive-compulsive.
  6. I use Elixirs and they last me for the best part of a year. Having said that, not everyone likes them. I think people with acid hands may want to consider at least trying them.

7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use Elixirs on one of my basses as well. Last quite a while and i love the sound and feel of them too. They have a nanoweb coating on them that makes them more resistant to grime.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    If you don't play more than an hour or two a day, and don't abuse your bass, the most likely explanation is that your just a "string killer". In other words, your body's pH balance amkes strings deteriorate extra fast- sometimes it's because of your diet, but it's usually just your particular body chemistry. This anomaly is extremely evident if you are a classical guitar player- fortunately most bass strings are must more resistent to deterioration that classical guitar strings, haha! :D I can sympathize- I don't sweat mucha dn I play fingerstyle, but I am a terrible string killer. A set of DR's loses it's crisp zing in about a week with me... they keep tehir clarity forever though :).
  9. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    if your using nickels, switch to stainless, they may seem harsh for abit, but once you wear them in they keep better.

Also make sure your hands are clean, i like using GHS fast fret on the strings, and on the back of the neck, along with lemon oil every time i switch strings, keeps the strings goin longer, the neck super fast, and the board nice and conditioned.

give d'addario Prisms a try, much brighter sound, but seems to me they last the best, i was goin threw DR lowriders a set a month easily