Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dyn-B with clarus and EA 1x10

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lin fung, Nov 16, 2002.

1. lin fung

lin fung Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2002
    Taipei, Taiwan
    From what I've read the success or failure of this pickup seems to have a lot to do with the amp rig. How would it work with a clarus and EA cxl110?
    Also, how does the sound compare to a good pickup+ mic combination?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Well, I use it with a Contra with good results, and I believe Adrian uses one with a Coda, so I would bet that it would be a good match.

I'm becoming more and more impressed with how good this thing is. Last night we did a quick and dirty little trio recording for the pianists' audition for Julliard. The drummer asked me to stand right next to his ear, so the bass was recorded straight out of the Dyn-B to the mixing board to a minidisc recorder. When I listened back through the headphones, I was stunned at how good it sounded, and I usually HATE recordings done bass direct. I've had worse results with some mics in a studio. If I can figure out a good place to post a sound clip, I'll be glad to do so.

Monte

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Monte,

Have you got any pics of this thing, or any links to pics of same? I've been hearing some talk about it, some good, some indifferent - most of the indifferent has to do with fragility issues. Also, how much bread are we talking about for this pickup?

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    You can see a pic of it in its case here along with it's technical specs. Also, the manual is a good way to get a read on this thing.

Fragility issues with the Dyn-B would shock me. There isn't much on it that even looks fragile; it is just a heavy disc a little bigger than a quarter and a lead back to the XLR jack, which sits between the strings. The Stat-B looks like it could be more fragile.

I could mail you the audition cd that we made using the Schertler as well if it would help.

I think Hammond Ashley sells this thing for around $550, so it is not a cheap solution, but I don't regret having spent the money. You might could contact Lou Roten , tell him you play with Jamey and see if he could let you try one. Who knows, with all the students you come in contact with, he might cut you a deal, but I can't speak for him. I've found his customer service excellent.

Monte

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I might do this, especially if a direct recording of the thing really sounds like a mic. I'd love to get a deal on it, but if it sounds good enough, it wouldn't be a deal killer if I didn't. When I got my K&K GT+DBM setup, I spammed all the bass classes with flyers from (ALL HAIL) Bob's site. Before the faculty concert, they were moving pretty slowly. After the concert, they disappeared in no time. And trust me, what people were interested in was NOT old DURRL'S fingers. :D

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, the cork one is the Stat-B. You can get replacement corks for almost nothing also. The Dyn-B is completely different.

Here is a non-Adobe link that has some pics as well.

I'll check my box, and get you a copy. The playing probably is sub-par as we don't do hardly any of these tunes she needed for her Julliard audition.:rolleyes: It should give you a pretty good idea of what the Dyn-B can do direct, though. It was pretty low tech, direct to the board to a minidisc recorder. Levels were set prior to the first take and then we just played.

Monte