1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dyna-bass owners, please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozzel, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Will a 5-string bolt-on neck fit the neck pocket on a 4-string body? The answer should seem obvious (no!) but I have to make sure. There is such a neck available on eBay, and judging by the pictures, it doesn't seem any wider at the nut or heel than a 4-string neck. I'd love to upgrade my Dyna bass to a 5-string without buying a whole new bass.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    - String spacing would have to be very tight in order to do a 5 neck the same width as a 4 neck. Would you want a bass like that? We're talking string spacing at the bridge of .563 (14.3mm) instead .750 (19.1mm).

- If you do want this, and the neck for sale won't fit, Hipshot has a conversion kit.

- Peavey has the manuals for these online. They might have the info you want.

- You could ask the forum at the Peavey website.

- Why not ask the seller to measure the width at the last fret?

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Stong Bad gives good avide.

I don't think this will work, I've had a Dyna-Bass 5 bolt-on.

4. Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. I've decided to just save up for a 5-string bass instead of trying to make a 5-string neck fit.