Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dyna-bass owners, please help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ozzel, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Will a 5-string bolt-on neck fit the neck pocket on a 4-string body? The answer should seem obvious (no!) but I have to make sure. There is such a neck available on eBay, and judging by the pictures, it doesn't seem any wider at the nut or heel than a 4-string neck. I'd love to upgrade my Dyna bass to a 5-string without buying a whole new bass.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    - String spacing would have to be very tight in order to do a 5 neck the same width as a 4 neck. Would you want a bass like that? We're talking string spacing at the bridge of .563 (14.3mm) instead .750 (19.1mm).

- If you do want this, and the neck for sale won't fit, Hipshot has a conversion kit.

- Peavey has the manuals for these online. They might have the info you want.

- You could ask the forum at the Peavey website.

- Why not ask the seller to measure the width at the last fret?

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Stong Bad gives good avide.

I don't think this will work, I've had a Dyna-Bass 5 bolt-on.

4. Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. I've decided to just save up for a 5-string bass instead of trying to make a 5-string neck fit.