Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dyna comp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Aug 1, 2005.

1. im trying to even out my sound and keep the output clean, the carvin i have seems so be acting alittle strange latly and on the low B it cranks out serious volume but other strings dont seem loud enough. From what i know about compressors they will bring down the super loud notes and bring up the lower volume ones. im playing through a peavey nitrobass head and the DDT light thing comes on when i play the B string, even when its not that loud. If i get a compressor such as the dyna comp, would i be able to even out the sound alittle more, and mayb be able to bring up the output cuz the B string wont max out anymore. Correct me if i am wrong cuz i dont know much about compressors, will getting one fix my problem? will i be able to turn up and be louder with the compressor?

thanks,
    andy

2. jazzbassist

jazzbassist

Aug 1, 2005
    a compressor will sort the problem, it will compressor the sound so every note you play has roughly the same amplitude, alternitively just use a limiter, that will stop the signal exceeding a certain point. Ive got a boss limiter/enhancer and its sorted out the problem for me.

3. cool, around how much did that cost you? cuz im on a budget and the dyna comp was pretty cheap.

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Have you checked the setup on your carvin S&P7? You can try altering the pickup angle so that the bass side is further from the strings and the treble side is closer. Also if you raise the B string bridge saddle a touch that will tame it some. And it's free too! Plug your carvin into the compressor you intend to buy and give it a good run before you buy. Compressors do change the way your bass sounds and feels and some sound pretty ordinary when they're working hard. As for limiters, I think you have one, the DDT circuit. When it lights up, that's as loud as it goes! Are you running much bottom end boost on your eq? That will probably cause you hit the limiter early.

5. the bass isnt boosted at all, its at 0. when i start slapin the b string, thats when the DDT light comes on.

6. The Dyna Comp is not a particularly good compressor for bass, IMO. It's more of a guitar sustain type compressor. On a tight budget I'd recommend something like an Alesis NanoComprssor. Has individual controls for attack, release, ratio, etc... which can teach you a lot about what compressors do, how they work and how to use them. There's also a little DBX unit with sliders on top (can't remember the model number) that is dirt cheap, but has the "over easy" function and will get you that "DBX sound".

~ Charlie

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree with moosapotamus. I just got a Dynacomp to repair and did not like it with bass.

Sure, you get great sustain and it did level out the tone. But I got a huge spike on the first notes. This is probably fixable, but you would have to mod the pedal.

I also agree with el_Kabong (wow I am being agreeable today) that it sounds like your pickups are not setup right. I would fix this first.

8. what about the MXR super comp? same price and same controls plus an attack level knob. I cant go over 70 bucks so finding the best compressor for that or less.

9. There's a Dbx compressor on bassgear.com for $60 shipped. I've heard very good things about Dbx comps, particularly for bass. I have had both the Alesis 3630 rackmount unit & the Microcomp(the model previous to the Nanocomp)- I liked them both.

10. I agree with the folks who have suggested getting your pickups setup properly. If you're not handy at doing that yourself, you could spend less than half of your $70 budget to have someone do it for you. If you don't at least look into getting that done, a compressor is just going to be a band-aid... Your setup is going to gradually get worse over time and, eventually, the band-aid is not going to cut it any more.

But, a compressor is still a good thing to have and use. If you still want a decent budget compressor, the one I was thinking of is the DBX MC6. The 163x is probably good, too. But the MC6 should be less expensive (under ~$45... less than the other half of your budget) and more versitile than the 163x (if you can find a used one... sorry, I think they are out of production). But, it looks like Daddy's has one available for $29.99 (see link, below).

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/dbx/MC6-01.html

http://www.daddys.com/php/usedgear_detail.php?aproductid=DBX0527

~ Charlie

11. ok ill check that out, thanks alot for all your help. and using a screwdriver and bringing down one side of my pick ups i think i can take care of myself. :)

thanks,
    andy