Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dynamat deadening material...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I'll bet my first born that this stuff would add to the efficiency of a cab. It is a mineral filled synthetic asphalt sheeting that they use for car audio.
    It is wicked expensive. I bet if you take out the stuffing, put this stuff on the interior walls, then staple the stuffing over it, this would get more clear bass out of your cab......Huh?

2. Rockbobmel

How about some roofing membrain??

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i use Dynamat for my computer's insides. cuts down on the high RPM fan noise. and the computer version doesnt stink nearly as bad as the car audio version.

4. Rockbobmel

Does the computer version cost more than the car one?

5. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I've used that stuff in car audio applications and it's not all that it's cracked up to be. All it does is add weight to reduce vibrations. You could probably get the same effect if you bolted some sheets of 1/8" steel to the inside of your cab, or better yet, make your cab entirely out of 1/4" steel.

6. I have used the Dynamat Xtreme when i was setting up a competition stereo system in my car. like Nate dawg said, it adds weight to kill vibration and doesn't work as well as i would like it to plus it reeks for about 2-3 weeks on top of that. what i found works good is a layer of dynamat and then fill the rest of the door or body cavity with poly-fil to create less air volume in the vehicle. A layer of dynamat in your cab with the poly-fil linner might work fine but once the dynamat is on, IT STAYS ON.

7. I was thinking concrete.

8. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You can also get the industrial equivalent of that stuff from McMaster-Carr.

That stuff is the right thing (or close to it) for keeping thin sheet metal from resonating like a drum, and so it might be useful on your rack gear. But it ain't gonna do squat for the wood walls of your speaker cabs.

If you really want to put something inside your cab, you can use a sound absorber on the inside walls to reduce the internal reflections. You can drastically affect the tuning of a ported cab if you go nuts with the stuff, though.