Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dynamic WAH vs MXR Auto-Q vs EBS IQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marcusmiller, Dec 1, 2003.

1. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    I am planning to buy a wah and a chorus
    that will work both with my bass and my electro-classic (nylon strings)
    Which ones do u suggest ?
    BASS IQ EBS ?
    DYNAMIC WAH BOSS ?
    MXR BASS ? (would it also work with my nylon ?)
    Chorus ? EBS ? BOSS ? i found a PEAVEY as well for bass chorus .. ?
    I emphasize that i want them to work with my nylon stringed classic as well ....

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you looking for an envelope filter or an auto wah? If you're looking for an auto wah, then I'd suggest the MXR over the Boss.

If you're looking for an envelope filter, then the EBS is the pedal from that list that will do what you are looking for. The EBS also has an auto wah mode, but without as many parameters as the Boss/MXR pedals.

As to whether they work with guitar or not, in my experience bass pedals generally work better with guitar than guitar pedals with bass. Guitar pedals often lose substantial low end when used on bass.

3. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    it is a confusing situation.
    If it was only for bass i'd go for an EBS IQ
    no doubt.
    But as i also want to use it with my nylon-string
    (as a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby kinda sound) (to add to my arpeggios as well - kinda phaserlike) i dont know which one to buy.
    i cant try them bec. they dont sell them around here....

4. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    So the EBS IQ has also WAH in it ? (like Jim Dunlop wah )

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    From my prior post:

>>EBS also has an auto wah mode, but without as many parameters as the Boss/MXR pedals.

Get more information at http://www.ebs.bass.se

6. marcusmiller

marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    Please can someone explain me in a more detailed way the difference between ENVELOPE FILTER and AUTO-WAH ?
    Filter is more sytnh-like sound ??
    Filter has more powerful lows and highs ??

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Autowah automatically cycles the q point across the spectrum. wahoohwahoohwahooh . . . On some models you can hear it swishing through the cycle even when you're not playing.

Envelope filters mess with the envelope (attack->decay) of the notes you play, and don't do anything when you don't play. Whomp whowmp whomwhomp depending on the rhythm you play and how hard you attack the notes.

Go to a store and try some effects, it sounds like you are looking for a lot of different things. Chorus is not going to come out of an autowah or an envelope filter. Do a search, there is lots of info on these pedals. www.harmonycentral.com has user reviews.

8. Soulman

Soulman

Apr 23, 2006
    Get an Ibanez, mxr or a Boss pedal. They all do abetter job than the EBS.
    I also have a Lovetone Meatball (see... special mention!)
    The EBS BASS IQ is a joke.
    For fun I tried 2 Boss FT-2 in series. Man, for far less than one EBS i had the envelope filter from heck! I now use this in my setup.
    The EBS goes from subtle (like a decaf espresso) to overpowering speaker blast (like a cheap white wine).
    And its expensive, very bloody expensive.
    I'm pissed off because nearly every other envelope filter I own does a better job.
    I saw an EHX on youtube for one ot their stereo phasers that does envelope filtering, very impressive, and I'll be looking at getting one of those next.
    You see, the EBS pedal lacks one thing the others all have. That one thing is CHARACTER. When u use an envelope filter it's party-time! What you want is a clown to jump out of your speakers. EBS doesn't do that.
    It's not a fun pedal.