1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dynomax or Magnaflow?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dBChad, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Dynomax Ultra Flow

2. Magnaflow Straight Through Oval

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Recently, the exhaust pipe separated from my muffler right at the inlet. Originally, I was going to weld it back, but the pipe is too corroded to weld.

I also noticed that with the factory muffler effectively bypassed, both acceleration and fuel mileage are noticeably better. I also don't hate the sound (when the loose exhaust components aren't banging into each other). I do need to do something, as fumes do come into the cabin (windows down at all times now). My plan is to replace the exhaust tubing from behind the transmission back, delete the factory resonator, and install a flow through style muffler instead to keep the characteristics as much as possible of a broken exhaust system without driving the neighbors crazy and attracting the attention of every police vehicle in earshot.

Magnaflow and Dynomax both make flow through style mufflers that are about the same price. Has anyone used either the Dynomax Ultra Flow or a Magnaflow Oval? I want some sound deadening, but I could stand to be a little louder than stock.

Engine is a naturally aspirated 2.5L horizontally opposed 4 cylinder with unequal length headers that are known for a rumbly sound.

2. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    The dynomax doesnt deaded a whole lot, and ive heard the same about the MF.

I like the thrush Welded mufflers. Same size and case as a flowmaster but half the cost

Gaolee likes this.
  3. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'm avoiding chambered mufflers (Flowmaster and Thrush) because I really notice how much better my car performs with flow-through vs. chambered. Flowmaster gets pretty drone-y and can start rattling after a few years when the internal welds break. If Thrush has a flow through, I would consider it, but Flowmaster is right out.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Magnaflow.

dBChad and MJ5150 like this.
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    The Dynomax doesn't do much at all. I bought a set of the bullets to cut some of the noise down on my Camaro and even with four of them (two on each side) it's still crazy loud. Not that there's anything really wrong with the sound of a 13 to 1 big block, but for street cruising it's a bit much.

Otoh, we put Magnaflow straight thru's on an 8 second SBC dragster and you could hardly hear that thing when it went down the track.

The Flowmaster sound is annoying and I associate it with a Fox body 5.0 Mustang. If I wanted a Ford, I would have bought one..... :D

sharkbait130, Gaolee and mrb327 like this.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I went with all Magnaflow, y-pipe/cat/muffler, when I redid the exhaust in my Dodge Ram. Here's what it sounds like:

-Mike

Mike N and dBChad like this.
  7. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    That Dodge sounds good, MJ. Small Block Dodge engines are very loud (I ran straight pipes on a '78 Plymouth Fury, drowned out a SBC with open headers). My car really isn't even without the muffler, but I still like the overall exhaust note. Thanks for the video.

MJ5150 likes this.
  8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Is that a Subaru?

I consider both Magnaflow and Dynomax to be about equal in value so I don't have a preference. Except that I would go with Flowmaster.

Their 60 series mufflers are designed for 4 and 6 cylinder engines for mildly modified sport type cars. They are relatively quiet but seem to flow better, with less restriction, than other brands. They are also a bit more expensive but I think they're worth it. I have a Flowmaster on my mild Merkur XR4ti and it's quiet enough to keep me from attracting attention from the police, but the sound tone is amazing.

My .02 cents.

60 Series Delta - Flowmaster

MJ5150 likes this.