Dyson Vacuums

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mine does the trick, works better than the bagged machine it replaced.

2. I have a DC24. Absolute garbage. Literally one of the worst purchases I've ever made.

3. I love my Miele. I was skeptical before buying it because of bag costs, but the salesman swore I could vacuum forever on the same bag compared to the vacuuming I currently had. He was right.

And the variable motor control is great! I like it better than a low/high switch or, like my other vacuum had, a sliding cover on the handle to relieve suction.:spit:

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Have had a Dyson for the last 9 years and except for the occasional washing of the HEPA filters and dehairing the powered beater bar, it has been perfect, and does a great job.

As for central systems, I have never seen one that was not a joke, but I've only seen a few so maybe I just haven't seen enough of them to know what a good one looks like.

5. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    We have a central vac that we installed when our house was built and we absolutely hate it for a myriad of reasons. It got to a point that we disliked it so much that we bought a Dyson. Have only had it for a short period of time but no complaints as of yet. (We also happened to get it at a really good discounted price.)

6. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks for all of the responses! I'll begin looking at the Miele and the Oreck vacuums.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    We just bought one. We got a reconditioned DC-39 cannister vac from overstock.com. It was about half price of 'new retail' and for 30 bucks I got an additional 3 year warranty. So, for 280$ we got what appears to look and work like a brand new one.

In the month we've had it, we both really like it. Small, light, quiet, easy to empty and it REALLY works. It's scary how much more it's picked up than any of the others we've owned.

8. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    We use one of these... Shark Rotator Lift Away. We had an Exectrolux Nimble whicxh was just awful .. AWFUL!!

I don't know about Dysons.. but that Shark is a nice vacuum.. Does the job very well. We have two dogs.. and one is a shedder.. It does a great job of getting that hair up out of the rug.

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I can't believe no one has said it yet:

THEY SUCK.

10. Well that is kinda the point :D

tumblr_mdriqarJXw1ryb0hd.gif

11. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    Miele, for sure. I've had my Miele Silver Moon for over 17 years. The only trouble I've had with it is that the auto-retractor for the cord stopped working about a year or two ago.

Bags are readily available on Amazon and you can fill them until you think they'll explode. I have two cats, and it does an amazing job on cat hair.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks again!

13. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Yeah that's why I didn't say it with the Electrolux.. because it failed to suck well enough..

14. Dyson. The Bose of the vacuum world.

15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Yeah, this...

16. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Hoover - cheaper and better. Many disappointments with Orecks and others. What matters the most is the motor's horsepower.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup. Dragging around a heavy, noisy box with an 8' hose is so much easier and convenient :smug:

18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    As someone who has done both, and has also used an upright, I would put the built in canister & hose in last place.

19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I have a Vax wet/dry machine which allows me to shampoo carpets with the same device. It also once allowed me to suck up the water left in the washing machine when it broke which was very handy.

20. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX

Dysons are great. Lightweight, easy to use, turns like a dream.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021