Dyson Vacuums

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Mar 25, 2014.

1. As in Paul Harvey recommends it?

good day.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I've had one for almost 10 years and have not had any problems or any loss in performance. What I like about it is if it does get clogged, it's easy to pull apart so you can fix it in a few minutes.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Miele here as well. 5 years and still sucks (in a good way).

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Too much mids but with DSP baked in?

Because that's what I look for in a vacuum.

5. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I think the Oreck takes the crown on this. Paid a ton for an Oreck and it broke on first use, with a crappy plastic part supporting the entire unit that clearly wasn't designed to take any strain. After getting the new part (not easy) and trying to bolster it with duct tape, the thing still didn't generate much vacuum. Eventually tossed it, although it came with a small hand-held unit that I use in my car, and that still sees some use. One of the worst purchases I can remember.

We've had a Dyson animal for a number of years now, it's worked pretty well, and it was way less expensive than the Oreck.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Bought a dyson last year and loved it. Right up until last week when it stopped working. They better fix it, or I'm gonna be wicked pissed cuz it wasn't cheap. The motor started whirring, going in and out... No clue what's up with that, but it ain't werkin.

[edit] Please check update in post 67 :).

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Four years ago I got a Bissell from walmart for 40 bucks, works great and not issues at all, we use it 2-3 times at week to vacuum three bedrooms, tv room, my studio and two cars.

8. I've been pleased w/all 3 of our Dysons(upstairs, downstairs, garage). They do suck. I started a thread some time ago as I found it amusing that I got one for Father's Day- more amusing to me was the flooring industry guy that came in(to the thread, not my house:))and nearly beheaded me for liking them. People get fairly religious about their chosen suction provider... :rolleyes:

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Isn't it amazing how polarizing or divisive a topic this is? So far ours fits all our requirements: Light/easy to use, quiet, powerful. I spent 30 bucks for a few extra years of coverage since it was a reconditioned unit and it was only selling for 250$.

10. Sometimes I just drag the ShopVac around the house ! No matter what vacuum cleaner you have, they all suck !

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    No, not really. That's why we bought a new one. The old one we had (random cheap dirt devil) was probably the only vacuum in existence that you had to sweep up after once you were done with it. The brushes in it did a great job of ejecting dust and dirt at high velocity to spread it around more evenly.

12. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

Sep 30, 2012
    west Texas
    I do this too. Craftsman. Its the only thing I got that sucks up the fricken dog hair. On an off note, about 6yrs ago when I was still married I got a call from a bill collector for a past due payment while at work. I inquired about what is was for and the lady told me a vacuum cleaner. So I figured I'll just pay this off. How expensive can a vacuum cleaner be I thought.
    Remaining balance was $1,100.00!!!!!! W T F ?
    I forget the brand but it's real
    Retro lookin with a lot of chrome and 1950's styling.
    I about sh#t! The wife's mother worked in a furniture store that sold vacuums. This thing is supposedly top of the line. Total selling price was like $1,500.00
    Ridiculous. ......but she still has it along with everything else after the divorce

13. I am also looking for new vac. After reading this thread, it is amazing how many people say they love the Dyson and many say they hate it. Makes it even harder to decide.

14. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I worked for Bose, the competitors mantra was "All highs, all lows, must be Bose."

All mids is way off.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If you learn some basic vacuum cleaner maintenence, you can own the cheapest, junkiest pos vacuums, and they will clean effectively. Why anyone spends hundreds of dollars on a mundane task is beyond me.

Our Hoover is from the sixties, and it cleans like a champ.

You can learn all you need to know online.

INSTEAD OF POSTING NONSENSE HERE.

Now what was I saying?

16. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That is 100% honest. I worked for one of said "competitors"... We once had t-shirts made with that slogan. Honest to God. It was hilarious.

17. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    JBL? - "Junk but Loud"?

:D

18. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I happen to like my Bose radio as well.

19. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1
    Mine works fine too, and I saved enough to buy a nice used bass.

You have to have your priority's straight..

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Buy once cry once is my motto.
    And I bought my Miele rebuilt / used. That's a double-win.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021