Dyson Vacuums

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steve S, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Bose products I own = 0

Bose products I've bothered to care about = 0

How Bose products relate to vacuums = 0%

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh God no...I have self respect. :p

3. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    We got one of the purple pet ones for Christmas, I think about 8 years ago, just before they devised the steering ball. Still works great! Anyone who claims they had one for a year and it broke, not worth repairing, may be fibbing. They come with 5 year warranties. Mom has one. She loves hers. Dad has one. He loves his.

Dyson=Fender :bag:
    Some companies make more expensive vacuums, but why? And, there are those who have one that costs less than a Dyson that say theirs works just as good (even if they've never had one and therefore have no basses, <yuk yuk, for comparison).

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I sold vacuums for a couple years part time, and have experience with pretty much every brand out there.

Dysons are good, but pricey for what you get.

I suggest the Consumer Reports reviews that come out every year. They are pretty good and accurate and matched closely my observances.

The Sears brand Kenmore (most of them are made by japanese brand Panasonic) are a very good value. Hard to go wrong with the $175-225 priced Kenmores.

5. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Picked up a Dyson DC23 on Amazon for a great price- it was refurbished. Works great! It is a canister style vacuum that only works on hard floors or Berber carpet and such. It is not designed to work on carpet with a medium or high pile, which isn't an issue for me.

I used to have a Fantom Fury, which was incredible! It just flat wore out and they no longer make them. It was also a bagless vacuum.

6. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    well I could introduce you to somebody I know with a Dyson--he would be one of them.
    But then he also works for a company that sells, among other things--Dysons.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Here to update my initial post....

We've been putting off calling dyson cuz we've been pretty busy. Finally called today, and they walked us through the fix. Nozzle in the main extension was clogged with a guitar pick and lots of cat fur :). Was a pretty easy unclogging actually, used a wire coat hanger. Only other tool needed was a quarter, to open up the bottom where the brush is.

Anyhoo, back to loving my dyson. Really easy the easiest and most reliable vaccuum we ever had. And I can now add that they have great customer service too.

I'll go edit my last post, too.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    We've had ours for about a month now, and we're still loving it. And we're still amazed at how much it picks up...we thought after an initial one or two rounds things would be pretty clean already and its still grabbing a whole ton.

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    My wife is a vacuumholic (daily) and swears the Dyson we've had for seven years is the best vacuum ever.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

We found a Dyson canister model at a discount store for under $200 - took a flyer on it and three years later it's still our main vacuum. The cord is too short, but aside from that I have no beefs. We use it for hardwood and carpet.

The last time I used Consumer Reports to choose a vacuum we ended up with one that was heavy, balky and a total pain in the butt. After suffering with it for about four years we gave it to a charitable organization. The Dyson is much more effective and leagues easier to use.

But I also have an old canister with power head downstairs that's so old I bought it from Montgomery Wards before they went out of business. It still works well and I can get bags for it, so we leave it downstairs and we don't have to carry a vacuum up and down between floors. If you take care of a decent vacuum, they last a long time.

11. Got an Oreck XL as a gift 8 or 10 years ago. Works well, no complaints. It sees weekly use around the house and the blower assembly finally wore out. For about $60 the local vacuum shop rebuilt it for me last week. Runs like a champ now. Looked at Dyson as the Bed Bath and Beyond here has the whole line. Looks neat but expensive. I'll rebuild the Oreck again in another few years.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021