E-A-D-G-C tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Does anyone use this as thier primary tuning im intersted in playing chords on my fiver and I think the C string would be more useful. Anyone have any comments or suggestions. Thanks
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    It wasn't as useful as I thought it would be, especially in everyday playing situations. What kind of music do you play? If you're in a combo and stepping out with a lot of solos, having a high C is helpful. Playing in bar band that does southern rock covers (as I was at the time), I found the high C as useful as a Pinochle deck.

Fiddling around in my room, though, it was great. (Take THAT sentence out of context. :eek:) It was a lot of fun, and yes, you could do a lot of neat little chords, but you have to ask yourself if it suits the music you are playing outside of your room.
  3. I usually play jazz at school and metal with my friends, but we are gonna write weird metal songs so i would probly do a lot of soloing.
  4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    then get a 7-string.

no, ten of them.

5. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    For weird metal I think B-E-A-D-G is a lot of fun. It's fun to play an evil-sounding bassline on the B-string while your guitarist is playing some beatiful harmonics three octaves up. ;)

Then again, I'm a weird one myself.
  6. The way I've always looked at it--

Everyday gigging situation: You'd be better off with a low B

If your looking to be next Burton: Go with the C :D

I'm going with the C when I get my 5 string. BUT the other day my bass was accidently downtuned to C# (from E)..and man..that was sick. I put it all the way down to B..god sounds awesome. So I'm contemplating swapping the low B for the high C. :D

And i can't compromise for a 6 string..too big
  7. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    if you wanna play Jazz.. i recommend the B-E-A-D-G as well... some chord progressions require you to play notes lower than E

8. Boy howdy. I've been using the bejeezus out of my Eb and D lately.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You can delete your own posts and go start a new thread. If you delete yours, I will delete this one, which pertains to the ones that won't be there. :D
  10. Thanks Mike. Sometimes I'm a real nimrod!:( I've done the delete thang I never noticed was there before. Sheesh...
  11. Why don't you make like Matt Garrison, a high C and a detuner to B, you get the best of both worlds. ;)