1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E-A-D-G-C tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Does anyone use this as thier primary tuning im intersted in playing chords on my fiver and I think the C string would be more useful. Anyone have any comments or suggestions. Thanks

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It wasn't as useful as I thought it would be, especially in everyday playing situations. What kind of music do you play? If you're in a combo and stepping out with a lot of solos, having a high C is helpful. Playing in bar band that does southern rock covers (as I was at the time), I found the high C as useful as a Pinochle deck.

Fiddling around in my room, though, it was great. (Take THAT sentence out of context. :eek:) It was a lot of fun, and yes, you could do a lot of neat little chords, but you have to ask yourself if it suits the music you are playing outside of your room.

3. I usually play jazz at school and metal with my friends, but we are gonna write weird metal songs so i would probly do a lot of soloing.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    then get a 7-string.

no, ten of them.

:D

5. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    For weird metal I think B-E-A-D-G is a lot of fun. It's fun to play an evil-sounding bassline on the B-string while your guitarist is playing some beatiful harmonics three octaves up. ;)

Then again, I'm a weird one myself.

6. The way I've always looked at it--

Everyday gigging situation: You'd be better off with a low B

If your looking to be next Burton: Go with the C :D

I'm going with the C when I get my 5 string. BUT the other day my bass was accidently downtuned to C# (from E)..and man..that was sick. I put it all the way down to B..god sounds awesome. So I'm contemplating swapping the low B for the high C. :D

And i can't compromise for a 6 string..too big

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    if you wanna play Jazz.. i recommend the B-E-A-D-G as well... some chord progressions require you to play notes lower than E

DM

8. Boy howdy. I've been using the bejeezus out of my Eb and D lately.

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You can delete your own posts and go start a new thread. If you delete yours, I will delete this one, which pertains to the ones that won't be there. :D

10. Thanks Mike. Sometimes I'm a real nimrod!:( I've done the delete thang I never noticed was there before. Sheesh...

11. Why don't you make like Matt Garrison, a high C and a detuner to B, you get the best of both worlds. ;)