1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E & A with corelli's

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Feb 4, 2004.

1. What E & A string would match a G & D Corelli 370F?
    I'm thinking Varicore but im open to opinion

2. What's wrong with the Corelli 370F E & A?

Maybe Thomastik Superflexibles (blue ends)?
    Pirastro Flatchromesteels (new ones)

3. Good point the A is do-able but the E is like 45$...i wanted to save a few...helicore arco med. A & E are like 50 combined...

4. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I feel your pain about the high priced 370 E. Have you considered matching the G and D 370s with the Corelli 380 E and A strings? It's not going to be a pefect match but the tension should be close and they're less expensive. They're not as bright as the 370s though. Or, you might want to consider buying the affordable A and a Weich E. I think a Weich E sets you back about $36 so that would lighten your load $9.

5. Thanks for your emailed letter. Yes, I use the Corelli solo strings for my top two strings, but the solo strings that they make for the bottom two haven?t enough tension, so I use their orchestra strings and then tune them up to solo pitch. On my new bass, I use D?addario solos for the top two and orchestras for the bottom two and then, like the Corellis, I tune them up to solo. I used to do the same with Pirastro Flexicore strings. The Corelli strings produce a very pure and focused sound which is not always desirable for orchestral playing. For orchestra, I probably would lean toward D?addario Helicore.

Basst wishes,

Gary Karr

now that i know what gary karr does i will do a similar arrangement in orch tuning

6. Savarez Corelli 370M G
    Savarez Corelli 370M D
    Helicore Orchestra Medium A
    Helicore Orchestra Medium E

This will most likely be my arrangement...

7. I can not stand Weichs...I played them on a bass similar to mine...I would never use them in an orchestra setting or for any bowing at all...