Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E & A with Helicore Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by FidgetStone, Feb 4, 2004.

1. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I'm almost two weeks into my new Christopher carved top and love it more every day. The helicore hybrids, however, are somewhat less exciting. The G & D have calmed down quite a bit and sound less metallic than they did. The A & E have calmed down as well but not to the same degree.

The A string is noticeably more growly than the other strings. The growl, however, is tinny and metallic sounding as opposed to deep and growly. None of the strings are particularly loud but the E seems to produce even less volume.

I plan to keep the strings for another month or so in order to get to know the bass itself and make a more informed string choice. (Not to mention that I broke the bank, so to speak, on the bass itself)

Buying just two strings would obviously be more affordable than a whole set. Has anyone out there mixed Helicore Hybrid G & D strings with other A & E strings with good results? I'm not sure what the tension on the hybrids is.

Thanks . . .

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Look at a silk ring at the beginning of the peg end silk part.
    yellow ring = light gauge
    navy blue ring = medium gauge
    red ring = heavy gauge

3. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Thanks Francios . . . The silk at the ball end (tail piece) is green with a yellow ring.

Also, I play mostly pizz but just got a cheap Glasser German bow to start learning a little about bowing. The G & D bow easier that the A & E with my current utter beginner bowing technique. All four strings are quite loud when bowed and very quiet (too quiet) for pizz.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    This is the Hybrid series.
    The silk ring (about an inch long) at the peg-end will tell you the gauge.

5. I dont know how it would mix with Helicores , but Obligatos are an awesome hybrid string...I have heard nothing but good things about Permanents....(www.pirastro.com)