E-ABG pickup troubles?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by strangemusic, Jul 6, 2005.

1. I recently spent a bit of birthday money on a cheap ElectroABG, to have something to kick around on in my room/away from my amp, or use amplified if the need arose. It has its share of things needing a tweak or two, but one in particular is bugging me quite a bit and I was wondering if the TB crew had any advice.

Namely, the pickup is hot as hell! Even with the onboard volume very low and the volume/master pots on my BA115 rolled off, it's pushing the amp very hard and crunching up the sound. I've plugged it into the Active input on the amp, and this has helped slightly, but has not solved things.

Any thoughts?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Don't know how much lattitude you have but dropping the pup away from the strings is the obvious approach. Lawrence states doubling distance to the strings decreases output about 60% and decreases some bass response which is pretty accurate in my experience. Once bass is within bounds than a cap can be used to bleed excessive trebles if they exist - or just a cap period if trebles are the real problem.

A 25K volume may knock that out but not sure how it would affect tone balance aside from bleeding trebles.

There's bound to be some stompbox-like unit that would do the trick but that stuff I'm not up on. You may find something in the FX forum though. There's some pretty sharp people there too.