1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

e and g strings aren't as loud

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by chrispaulmusic, Jan 9, 2006.

1. chrispaulmusic

chrispaulmusic

Dec 2, 2005
    Hey I just bought a G&L trib L2000. And it seems that the open e string and the g string aren't as loud as they a and d. But every other notes on the e string work just fine. However most of the notes on the g string are quiet. Is this just an eq setting? I tried messing with that already. Didn't help a whole lot. Could it be the pickup?

2. I believe the pole pieces on G&L pickups are all adjustable. You could adjust the pole pieces so that the output is even across all strings.

3. try raising the pole pieces under the g string a tad until the output evens out. That's why they are adjustable.

try it under the E as well. I am unsure as to *why* the open E sounds less so than a fretted note on the same string, but are we speaking acoustically, or amplified? If it's amplified, it could be many variables, not limited to nut material / winding count / break angle over the nut, etc... one more reason I'm a fan of zero frets... :D