E-Bay Pickups: experience anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ArtisFallen, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    has anyone bought anything succsesfully from e-bay that was totally pleased with the results? i'm thinking that 20 bucks a pickup is a good deal, but i also don't want to buy a total peice of crap sight unseen.

any sucess stories? horror stories? dependable dealers? do tell.
  2. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've generally had very good experiences buy on ebay, with only one exception. Check the sellers feedback. That will tell you what you want to know.
  3. I have bought 2 things off e-Bay, a used Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass and a used neck for my P-Bass clone and I am 100% satisfied with both. They were both as shown. I would suggest using the "ask the seller a question" function on e-Bay if you're unsure of what you're getting. That function has saved me from buying dozens of items that wouldn't have worked for me.
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Oh yea, I've had good luck buying parts on eBay. The trick is to ask all of your questions up front and look closely at the seller's feedback. If you have any doubts, move on to the next auction.
  5. ive used ebay lots of times for buyin and selling

99.9% of people are honest and just out to get some cash together..nothing wrong with it...

dont be scared.....

Do your research on the product before buying and if poss go to a store and test one out....

Ask as many questions as you want...sellers usually do not have a problem with them..

Dont be put off by none picture adds as well...not everyone has a digital camera these days and there isnt anything to hide
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I disagree. When you want something on Ebay, there will most always be another one. Why would you purchase the one you can't see when there are 10 that you can?

(Of course auctions without a photo will sell for a lower amount of money then others, so if you're short on cash...)
  7. I've had good transactions on ebay (except for one) and have always been pleased with the results. Buying and selling, I think it's worth it. Like they said, check the sellers feedback. I did have one shipping problem though. (but that's not an ebay thing) I sent a jazz set to a guy and one of them bounced around too much and the coil wire got sngged and broke. I sent him another pickup though, so he was happy. I try to do what I can to keep the buyer happy.

Stay low,
  8. I've made 191 eBay transactions, and two of them went sour. One I got my $150 back, the other I lost $75 for a driver that was not what it was advertised as.

Use PayPal.

My 2001 MIM-P was an eBay score (new), and so was the 2002 MIM-J fretless. Both were less than $250 each, but the J was mint-used.

If you are hunting for pickups, check out Black Rose Custom. John Wymore is a standup guy, and offers very aggressive pricing on S.Duncan.
  9. No problem so fare, I purchase a set of fender jazz PU from 1979 (99$) working and in great shape
    And good sounding
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Be patient, ask questions, and read, Reread and threeread the auction. Only times I've been unsatisfied is when I didn't read the auction.