1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E-Bay Policies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iriegnome, Apr 24, 2009.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok. So, I have been a member of E-bay since 1999. a few months ago, they changed their policy's for accepting payments. Now, you MUST accept some form of credit card or electronic payment or you cannot list your items.
    Since I am not in business, I don't take charge cards as a rule. I have a paypal account, but I only use that on occassion because of the fees and I most certainly do not use it when I list on Evil Bay since that is just paying them even more money.
    What The Deuce!!! They now have become so big, they are shutting the door on the people who made them that big and are just turning their backs on us.
    Yes I have a PayPal account. I really don't want one. I hate having to pay that much money for no reason other than the fact that E-bay says I have to.
    That just sucks.:spit:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, it does suck massively. It's just because Ebay owns Paypal, so this way they ensure that almost everyone using Ebay pays them twice.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I agree totally

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    However if you have ever tried to open a business credit card account, you will find that Paypal fees are actually reasonable.

However ever since Ebay bought Paypal, it really bugs me that they can double dip. Also I sold a bunch of things the last 2 weeks and got beat up quite well, now is not a good time to sell on Ebay.
    I had no snipers and glad I used a reserve on some items.

Good luck,
    Dirk

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah ebay's definitely took a downward spiral over the past few years. The trouble is that its still the "best" game in town. There's craiglist of course, there's TB classifieds, but for sheer volume of cool stuff, ebay is still top dog and they know it. It's not going to change anytime soon I'd suspect.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't have any problem with this policy. None at all. Electronic funds transfer is far and away the best way to move money, and the Ebay and Paypal fees are simply a minor cost of doing business. The convenience far outweighs the cost.