Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

e-Bay scam???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I have a digital camera with several lenses, filters, etc up on e-Bay right now. I just got an e-mail from a guy asking if I could send to Canada. He claims he's from Australia but he has relatives in Canada. Below is the e-mail he sent...

Can you post to Canada ???. I am in Australia but have relatives in Canada

I am not sure if this could be bogus or not. The cam has a reserve of $500 and a Buy-It-Now of $650, so I CERTAINLY don't wanna get screwed out of that cash. The guy only has 22 transactions, but he does have a 100% rating.

Any ideas? Thanks much for the help!!!

Eric

2. If his money is green (or multi-coloured in the case of CDN $) I say send it where ever he wants. Nobody sends out anything until the cheque/paypal etc. is cashed.

3. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I once sold a bass to a guy who lived in Hungary, but I shipped it to a friend of his in Canada and it worked out fine. :)

4. +1!

5. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I sold a PSP to a guy in Australia. But I shipped it to NY, where one of his friends ships him stuff once every other week. It worked out a-ok. It was done via paypal and there were no issues at all. However, if you feel it is iffy in any case, or you get a weird vibe, just pass.

Don't go through a third party of any kind, go through paypal or have the funds wired directly to your account.

6. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    when the guy from Hungary wired me funds, I actually opened up another account, just so I didn't have to give him my main account number. probably a slight pain for the bank, but protected me.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've done overseas business before. Just don't do anything "out of the ordinary" and cash the money order before you send.

brad cook

8. Thanks guys!

I e-mailed him back and told him that i can ship to Canada. Waiting for his response.

Thanks again for the input.