Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E-bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scottos150, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Is it usually pretty safe to order a bass on e-bay?Im looking at G&L's.

2. which G&L's? as in are there any current auctions that you're particularly curious about?...

Joel

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yes most of the time it is...but make sure you look at the sellers feedback, if there are any negatives do not buy from them. Also if they have no feedback, get thier home phone # and address and call them to make sure they are valid. But be carefull, also never ever buy or sell to Micro-Asia! I have heard numerous stories of people selling and buying to/from Indoniesa and getting riped off. Ebay is a great thing if people are honest.

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I agree with everything that Johnalex, except the negative feedback. I have one negative with almost 80 positives. The guy that left me the neg. never contacted me about any problems, and left the neg 3 months after the end of the auction.

Contact the seller and make sure you feel comfortable with their responses.

Side note I am thinking of selling a G&L L2000 fretless I just bought off of ebay if you are interested email me at dhuffguitars@mindspring.com

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I agree with Dhuff. I also have one negative feedback from a guy who won a bid and then backed out. In the end, he wound up with a feedback rating of negative one.

eBay is a great place to buy basses if you know what you're looking for and don't let yourself get carried away.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Figure out the most you're willing to pay for the item and bid that amount. Don't get caught up in a bidding war... sometimes feeling the need to beat out somebody ends up costing you more than the item is worth. Search for the same item in recently completed auctions to see what the going price appears to be. if you have questions or concerns, ASK BEFORE BIDDING... I love ebay!!

-robert

7. Ebay is cool, but here are a couple of tips

1) Mkae your first bid your highest. Maintain self control and don't over bid because some one else out bid you.

2) Don't bid more than about 70% of what it sells for new. I've seen people bid up and over $200 for a used Squier Jazz bass.

3) Read through the sellers feedback, and check out some of the stuff they have sold. If it is their first high dollar item, be cautious.

4) Don't be afraid to contact the seller with questions.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i got two custom conklins off of ebay. it works if you are careful.

9. I bought a beautiful 2 week old Peavey Cirrus on ebay the guy was a pleasure to do business with. Just use common sense.:D

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never bought a bass, but I have bought some other gear off of Ebay, and have had very good luck. I have also sold numerous items there as well, and the deals have always turned out very well.

11. I just bought my cab off of ebay. I have bought a bass on ebay, which I later sold on ebay. I have baught pick ups, pick guards, bridges, tuners, and other gear and hardware from ebay. Pretty good deals most of the time.