E-H Black Finger or Fulltone BD for warmth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Feb 26, 2005.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Which one of these two gives the best tube amp warmth and just noticable overdrive? I dont want much distorton just warmth and depth in my sound.
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Bump, I'd like to see some opinions on this too. :cool:
  3. I tried the Fulltone bass driver and its a great overdrive pedal but for that just breaking up tube sound i dont think so. Try the Tech 21 SABDDI and turn the blend to about 40% and add just a small amount of drive and yes this does sound like a tube amp.Its cheaper as well, see my shoot out reviews comparing these as i needed a pedal to lift my sound and give me a tube grunt mild drive type of sound.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. I owned a Sansamp some years ago and did not care for it´s sound at all. I didn´t think it was touch sensitive and dynamic. Just scooped mids and fuzzy or clean, nothing in between. But I could give it one more try I guess.
  5. I own the EHX Black Finger, and the tube warmth u can get from it is awesome, IMO. the pregain dial cranks in much mroe warmth than the post gain (its basically a volume control). with some pretty heavy pregain on the lamp setting with some heavy compression, my tone gets super fat and warm. u can crank some severe overdrive out of that box too, but id suggest getting better tubes for it if thats what u want...the ehx tubes in it will die (i think i broke mine...oops!)

maybe some mesa tubes or some old rca's will do the trick...but regardless, u can get some awesome fatness from the box
  6. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Umm... The new EHX tubes are GREAT tubes, you should not have to replace them. They have great breakup, a low noise floor, and almost zero microphonics. And for the record - Mesa tubes are just re-labled sovtecs, as are groove tubes, H&K, and man MANY others...

7. well then maybe i should get the new ehx tubes...the ones that came in mine gave out (unless i have another problem in the box...its a few years seasoned). thx for the advice on the mesa tubes...ive never used them b4 but i have a couple friends who are mesa fans, so i was thinking of going that route...i just need some 12ax7s that can handle getting a little hot