1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E-mail I received from Dave Ellefson on May 31, 1995

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    In 1995, I got to meet Dave Ellefson back stage at a concert in Massachusetts. I got to briefly ask him about his quiver of Modulus basses. I noticed him using some type of pedal board thing when I was watching the show earlier that evening but forgot to ask him about it as well as some other things. So a few months later I sent him an e-mail and he responded! Here's what it said;

Ron,

Thanks for your email. I recorded Youth (Youthanasia album) with a 78 Fender P-bass for the 4 string songs and the blue 5 string Modulus for all the 5 string songs. Live I use one Ampeg SVT II through 2 8x10 cabs, the other are spares. The pedal was a Roland 1 octave keyboard pedal that triggers a Proteus sound emulator for parts in several of the songs so I could emulate the special effects on the record. See ya next time.

Youthfully yours,

David Ellefson

(end of email)

If you couldn't already tell that Dave is one of the most real, laid back, intelligent, fun to be around guys that actually cares about the fans - this e-mail solidifies that.

I just found his printed email in a box of my old stuff that I was going through and just figured I'd share with my 4, 5 & 6 string comrades :)

2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Dave Jr is the real deal. Just a nice guy who likes playing mean music and rattling heads. I talked to him on a video-chat meet and greet type thing, and got to ask him what post-2000 bands he likes. Lamb of God and Disturbed were the only ones I remember now.

SirMjac28 and Direct Box Rox like this.
  3. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    When I got to meet each band member one by one after the show that night - 3 of them were extremely cool & kind. Only one was a d***. Wanna take any guesses?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    pjbassist likes this.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's very cool thanks for sharing that.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  5. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it :)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. That is really cool!
    I ran into Dave at a deli in downtown Atlanta on my lunch break a few years ago. Told him I was a big Megadeth fan from way back, and a fellow bassist. He said thanks and are you coming to the show tonight? I said "No man, I have band practice!" He kinda smirked at me and said, "Good for you." :)