Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E-MU 1820M, Enough to Get Started?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bron-Y-AurStomp, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    Hey. I've always wanted to get into recording myself, as well as my friends. I've tinkered with a few recording systems before, but I only have a basic knowledge of recording because I really don't have anything to work with at home.

So, what I was wondering was, do you think that the 1820M or 1212M E-MU has all that I'd need to get started? The price seems right, and if that's all I need, or if I only need a few other things, then that'd be pretty awesome. I want to use this recording setup in order to record myself, as well as friends I play with or a band, or even my friend's bands. I believe my computer is quick enough, although not the top of the line (1.8GHz, 256Mg RAM, 80G hardrive). If you have any experience with any of this stuff, any input would be appreciated. I guess what I was looking for is something high enough quality where i could go, hey, that sounds pretty good, but not too pricey, and not too confusing, although I do welcome a challenge.

If any of that makes sense, then yea, any feedback would be appreciated. If not, ask me and maybe I can clarify. If you think I'm totally off-base, let me know too. Thanks much!
    -Russ

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I own the 1820M and can not say enough good things about it. It is far more than enough to get started. In fact, unless your running a commercial studio out of your house, I'd say you'd be all set. If IRC your system does meet the required specs.

Three bits of advice:

1) disable your on board sound device in BIOS
    2) uninstall old drivers
    3) read the manual so you know how ASIO works.

It comes with a great ASIO primer which you do NEED to read unless you are familiar with it already. I'm on a couple of mailing lists and 99% of the problems I read about are solved when people read the manual and figure out how to properly set up ASIO ins and outs. I used to use an M-Audio 24/96, and the quality difference is amazing. The Audiophile was pretty good too!