Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E.R.B.'s ,top 10 , New Age Charts

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Garry Goodman, May 14, 2005.

1. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I am glad to see that tracks featuring 7+ string bass guitars are in the top 10 on the New Age/Ambient/World charts.That's aside from the fact I'm playing them . New Age music is a growing market that allows for musical creativity.We sort of just fell into it.
    The melodic instruments on these tracks are just bass and guitar.In a format that features relaxation, meditation and ambient,soothing music-it's nice to see tunes that features bass solos fit easily into the playlists.

About 12 years ago, I started rehearsing with a
    another composer who plays all styles of guitar and
    is an especially gifted classical guitarist. We both
    wanted to document what we did with our instruments in
    the form of a decent recording.

For me, when we started this project ,it was at a time when no one had really defined what to expect from a 7-string bass guitarist.I wanted to
    demonstrate why a 7-string bass guitar was an
    invaluable addition to the bass guitar family. I had
    also been using my own version of harmonic tapping I
    had been developed over the decades.The guitarist and
    I composed 5 tunes each and added our "voice" to each
    other's tunes.We are a live,no overdub duo.We performed
    live for a while to develope the music.

The music was really in the jazz format and was mostly
    improv, with a recognizable "head". After a lot of
    drama and years passing, we were able to finally
    record, master and manufacture a limited amount of
    CDs. Now I had something to play for someone when they
    asked me about 7- and 11-string basses, the low Jauqo
    III-X/S.I.T. .195 string, Percussive Harmonics or playing
    two handed counterpoint style "tapping".We also added
    percussion to the tracks.

Somewhere along the process of making the CD, several
    people said that they really enjoyed the music,found
    it uplifting, and pointed us towards different sources
    to promote the CD.
    The smooth jazz people loved the CD,but said it was
    too "acoustic" for the format.(too acoustic for Jazz?) So soon
    after that a friend suggested I try the NewAge/World/Ambient market. My first thoughts were of long synth notes,bird calls and neo-classical piano and lots of string (violin,viola,cello) pads. I thought this suggestion was even more strange because someone had commented that we really did our homework and really "nailed" composing music for
    the new age format.Of course, we weren't thinking new
    age at all when composing the music.We are a real time, live,no over dubbing duo,and most of the music in the genre seems to be very produced.

So to shorten this a bit, the next thing you know,
    we debuted at #6 on New Age Reporter, the "Billboard" for New Age, and have been lingering in the top ten for almost 3 months.We have been added to 188* stations and counting - Radio and internet stations,internationally, including stations in Australia , Japan, Hong Kong, Spain, France, Romania,the Netherlands,Belarus,Canada and the U.S..We are on many of their individual top 10 lists.

The interesting part is that every tune on the CD has
    been getting "spins".It's good the format allows for 9 minute tracks.
    All but one tune has a bass guitar solo and several have a bass intro,one that is even a minute long.
    It was suggested in a thread on TB, that a technique
    should be "transparent' and serve the music. In this
    case,the Percussive Harmonics make up about 70% of all
    the bass parts and those parts are 50% of all the
    music on the CD save for the Guitar and Percussion.

Many non-musicians ,DJ's etc. comment on how much they
    enjoy the music,perhaps totally unaware that they are
    listening to a 7-string bass playing 70% harmonics,
    and on one track, an Adler 11-string bass playing 5-6
    octave arpeggios ending with the low C#0 (Thanks
    Jauqo).Some ask what instrument makes the chime
    sounds.

There are many great CD's featuring Keyboard ,Guitar,Cello,Vocals etc,
    on the Top 100 New Age Reporter chart. I saw Tony
    Levin's CD there last month-but other than that, haven't found a CD featuring Bass guitar,at least in the top 50.

I think this is another small step in establishing the 7+
    string basses as commercially viable instruments,Percussive Harmonics as another acceptable "color" for the bass guitar,and the low C# string as a "Chart Topping" bass string. Now,when someone asks "What do you need all those strings for?" I can reply "to make music with": http://www.newagereporter.com/charts/top100.asp?m=3&y=2005
    , and
    http://www.newagereporter.com/charts/top100.asp?m=4&y=2005

Instead of fitting the E.R.B.'s into the traditional bass role, the player can create music,tracks etc. around the E.R.B. and make some fresh music for an ever growing audience.

Thanks for reading.
    *193 stations now

2. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Inspiring story Garry. I totally agree with you that if you are being musical and playing compositionally, it doesn't matter what technique you are using or how many strings you are using. You should come out with good music. Being an ERB'r myself, I'm really glad to see that you got the 7 & 11 strings into the top ten. There are so many possibilities with extended range instruments. Congratulations on your success!

3. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    Thanks for the positive post,Chip! It seems that as time goes on, these basses are becoming more widely accepted.Yeah, the end result is having a good time creating the music,and it's a bonus when someone else enjoys it.Number of strings, techniques are just our choice.

4. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
  5. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003