1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'E' Series MiJ '57 Precision - Help Decoding Neck Pocket / Heel Stamps

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnDeereJack, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Afternoon all,

I recently picked up a cheap, used MiJ '57 Precision. It's an 'E' series from somewhere between '84-'87. Apologies for the dreadful pic - my fone camera sucks!
    P Bass 03.jpg

It has a maple neck, alder body, an aftermarket anodized pickguard (from doing a bit of digging online it seems these basses came with a 1-ply white guard) which I'll be replacing, and the previous owner has added an active SD APB-1 pickup, so I'll be replacing that too and reverting it back to a passive pickup (SD SPB-1)

Anyhoo, I took the neck off and found 'PB-557' stamped in the neck pocket and on the heel of the neck.
    P Bass Heel.jpg
    P Bass Neck Pocket.jpg

I guess PB=Precision Bass, and 57=1957 Reissue, but it's the other 5 I am confused about - does anyone know why the stamp has two 5's? From looking at other examples online I've also come across MiJ '62 RI P Basses with PB-562 stamped in the neck pocket and on the heel. Any ideas about this mysterious 5?

Thanks in advance :)

JDJ

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021