1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E string Blues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Mar 24, 2014.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the E string on my Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass sounds like ...well it sounds like crap! It sounds "boxy" there's no real note, it just sounds pretty much like a thud, if that makes any sense to you at all. The other 3 strings sound fine, it's just the E string that I can't get a good sound out of no matter how much I try and "Tweak it". Could it be the intonation? Strings? I use the same exact strings on all 5 of my Jazz Basses, (Fender 7350M .045-.105) this Paticular Bass just does'nt have a good E string sound; I could use some Expertise(?) in this matter, Thank You very much in advance. Bart/ madjazzbass

2. Maybe tightening the truss rod a bit May help. It could be a dead string also. Have you tried removing the string and then restringing with the same string? Beyond that I wouldn't have any idea.

3. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    It's probably a dead string.

Get a new one and be careful not to twist it when you install it!

4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Wow! Thanks guys, I actually changed the whole set of strings and WOW!! It's been a year since I've changed them (I have 6 Basses so....) but that pretty much did it, silly me huh? Haaaaaaa!!

5. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY