1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E string buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dan_reeves, May 9, 2015.

1. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Hi everyone, quick question for you all.

I just picked up an '81 Peavy T-40. Got it for a great deal with the original fitted case. Anyways, I am getting buzz on fretted notes, mostly on the E string. The weird thing is that I think the buzzing is coming from the headstock side of the fretted note. I am guessing something needs to be adjusted. What should I look for? The nut is metal. Should I replace it? I am using D'Addario Flex Steels, if that matters. I usually use Chromes. I have never noticed this issue on any other bass. The T-40 can be adjusted at the neck, bridge and the back neck plate. My action is pretty high at the moment and I'd like to lower it but I want to figure out the buzz first. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    First things first: double-check your string install including witness points (bridge & nut), adequate string wraps, optimal break angles, and relief. Here's a quick way to make a definitive diagnosis and rule out the stupid stuff: remove the E string from its nut slot and place a small aluminum foil pellet in the slot. Replace the string and tune to pitch. Is the buzz still present?

Get back to us (we need answers to all of the above) and we'll go from there.

Riis

3. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    I there an optimal string wrap number for a T-40? Or is it the same as any Fender? I own a P and a Jag also. Thanks!

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Usually 3+ wraps and "hitting the deck" > lowest portion of the string post. Witness points?

Riis

5. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Thanks I will check everything tonight. The way it's currently strung is not like you describe. Maybe 2 wraps. I will restring and go through all the steps and revisit. Thank you for giving me a starting point.

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If not sure, post pics. "Back buzz" can be the result of any number of things. Don't forget to check your relief as a too-straight or back-bowed neck can also be causative.

Riis

7. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    So I did two things that worked. New strings with the number of windings you suggested, and went with some stiffer strings. Buzz is gone and after I went through the full setup steps I also got the action fairly low. Plays fantastic - thank you for your help!

8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, don't mess with success. Now is a good time to measure things (nut slots, relief, string height, etc) so you can reproduce the set-up when necessary.

Riis

9. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    Good call. I will do that. Thanks for all your help!