E-string buzz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rjg, Nov 16, 2002.

1. I just bought a used MIA Fender Jazz, and I'm noticing that the E-string is buzzing. At first I thought it might be a neck problem--I have an MIJ that has buzzing above the 12th fret--but I'm noticing now that it buzzes even when I'm just playing the open string.

Is it just a bum string? What else could be causing this?
  2. Any help? I'm considering running down to GC to pick up some new strings and see what happens, but I'd like an opinion or two before I drop $30, and I don't trust GC to give me an honest opinion.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The neck probably has a back bow.

Take it to some one to take care of the adjustments if you dont know how to do them.

4. It's very strange. Sometimes there's more of a buzz than others, and it buzzes more through my Fender 15 practice amp than it does through my headphone amp.

And it's not exactly a buzz--it's more like the note doesn't ring through as clearly--like it's muted but with a strange almost harmonic layer over the note itself.

I was going to go to the luthier yesterday, but he was out sick, so I'm seeing him tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be a quick and cheap fix, or I'm sending the bass back. Sigh. Maybe I'm just not meant to have a Jazz bass.
  5. How many times is the E-string wound around the post? I'm guessing there's not enough downward pressure at the nut, an if it is only wrapped ariund the post once or maybe twice, that would confirm it.
  6. It looks like it's wrapped around at least three times, perhaps four--I can't tell if there is another loop under the top loop, though it looks as if there is.

At any rate, it's definitely more than one or two loops.

My fear is that the neck is tweaked the same as my MIJ bass, which needs replaning in order to fix the buzzing, which, like the MIJ, is worse above the 12th fret and primarily on the E-string as well.

Of course, another problem with the MIJ was that the truss rod was tightened about as far as it would go--there was about 3/4 to 1 inch of space between the end of the neck and the beginning of the truss rod. On this bass, I can see that the beginning of the truss rod is lined up almost exactly with the end of the neck, so presumably there is more room for the neck to be corrected using the truss rod.

I bought it off eBay, so I'm predisposed to pessimism after hearing eBay horror stories. Thankfully, I bought it with my Capital One card through PayPal, and they told me that if PayPal afforded me no protection, they would. Still, this bass is a beauty--natural body, maple neck, and not a single blemish. The color scheme was exactly what I was looking for. And, it sounds as pretty as it looks, save for that damned E-string.
    At any rate, I'll be at the luthier's by noon tomorrow. I'd just like some peace of mind and to know whether or not I'm going to have to see just how "no hassle" my Capital One card really is.
  7. Sounds like the bass is a beaut; I hope you can get your problem solved easily. Is the neck straight now? Maybe you just need to raise the E-string slightly at the bridge. My main bass for years was a '72 Jazz and I finally got rid of it because the neck was twisting and I got sick and tired of screwing with it. I now use a Reverend Rumblefish as my main bass and I couldn't be happier...although I have a MIJ fretless Jazz. What can I say, I'm a Jazz Bass addict.
  8. Well, the luthier says he gives the bass a "B+", with the qualification that he rarely sees a Fender neck he's willing to award an "A". He seems pretty convinced he can get everything in working order, though he stresses he offers no guarantees.

He describes the action as "low," though I have raised the action on the E-string twice since getting it. He thinks he can adjust things and preserve the action, but I may have to move up to what he calls "medium." I'm under the impression this means that my action is currently set at 7mm, and he may need to move it to 8mm. Is the measurement he's talking about millimeters? I always just try and get it as low as I can without buzz. I've never actually measured what I'm doing.

Anyway, I have to wait until Friday to find out if we can get the bass up into the 90th percentile.

Thanks for the help and support--I'll let you know how it all turns out.

To console myself, I've been playing my "A+" Rick for the last several hours.
  9. faz1

faz1 Guest

it could be your bridge because i found this out with my bass you have to tighten the screw