1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E string buzzing, not fret buzz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redhawk, Nov 5, 2006.

1. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    Ok, so I got a new bass about a month or so ago and love it and all, but within the last week or two have noticed a buzzing. It is very annoying but I can't seem to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. It sounds loudest at the tuning peg, but that just could be because the sound is vibrating through it. It happens when I play open notes on the E...any ideas?

2. Could be a bad string. Have you checked the bridge saddle height adjustment screws? If one has worked its way loose, it can buzz like hornet.

3. F-Clef

F-Clef

Oct 31, 2006
    Over the years I have had buzzing coming from the machine head, the nut, a bad string. I am afraid it is going to be a process of elimination job.

4. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    Ok, thanks guys, I'll see what I can find.

5. I had a bass once that had a rattling E-string tuner. The cloverleaf key part was loose against the post, and rattled on the open E.

6. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Like the others have said a process of elimination but if closest to the tuning peg it is loudest, could be a loose cloverleaf on the E.

I had a bass drive me nuts with that and it was a loose leaf.

Jim

7. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    Yeah it's definately loudest by the tuning peg, I can't really hear it if I listen close to the bridge, only near the tuning peg and near the few frets below it.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    The string isn't sitting right in the nut.

Did you put on a new set of strings? Cause I bet they're a different scale.

9. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    Nope, same ones that were on when I bought it.

10. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Then maybe the tuner is a bit loose.

What kind of bass is it?
    Did you buy it used?
    Does it have trouble staying in tune?

11. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    It's an Ibanez SR 500 that I bought new at guitar center. Now after listening closer it is happening on all the strings, I have no idea what is going on.

12. Try holding your tuners still with your fretting hand while you hit open notes. That should tell you if it's the tuners.

13. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    I tried and they still buzz. Looks like we got a good ol' mystery eh?

14. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    On that model perhaps the truss rod cover is loose.

Jim

15. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    Sorry for the stupid question, but where is that exactly? Is it the thing under the strings, just above the nut?

16. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    On the headstock, touching the nut.

17. redhawk

redhawk

Oct 8, 2005
    I don't think it is the truss rod cover, I don't have a screw drive that small on me right now to try to tighten it, but I did hold it down and it is the same. It almost seems that it is coming from in the headstock. Could it be anything with the truss rod itself?

18. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I know that you said it's coming from the nut, but sometimes the buzz can be coming from somewhere else. Maybe it's coming from the bridge. I've had strings in the past rattle against the spring that is attached to the bridge saddle. Play each string and put your finger on the spring to see if it's making the sound you hear.

Joe

19. I had a squire that was vibrating. I thought it was coming from around the headstock somewhere. In fact it was the truss rod itself. I just tightened it a bit and It seemed to solve it.

20. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    how many windings you got on that tuner?

Could be not enough and it's buzzing at the nut