1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E String Buzzing On One Fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zoro, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Zoro

Zoro

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi, I recently got a cheap bass to learn on and am experiencing a fret buzz problem. When I play the E string on the 6th fret there is a loud buzzing sound which does not occur on any other fret or with the other strings.
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why this could be.

2. Flat spot on that specific spot (should be "crowned") or a high fret in front of it.

sissy kathy likes this.
  3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ... the 7th fret could be popping up on the bass side too. Press down on the 7th fret to see if you can spot any movement, minute amounts is enough to cause this problem. IF the fret is moving then a small amount of CA (superglue) wicked under the fret and clamped for a minute will fix the problem. Otherwise refer to bryan's post above.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    To clarify, is the string buzzing, or coming from somewhere else on the bass. I had a Squier that the tuners would vibrate on some notes.

5. Zoro

Zoro

Jan 2, 2017
    Ah one of the frets is a bit higher than the others, thanks for your help :)

6. Zoro

Zoro

Jan 2, 2017
    I don't think the buzzing was coming from anywhere else, just a higher fret.

7. Zoro

Zoro

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks, I checked all the frets but none of them popped up. I did notice that a fret was sitting higher than the others.

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The problem usually is as bryan described; but you always want to check for the popped fret first. Because if you start filing and the problem is a popped fret you have just complicated the task. When you file a popped fret that moves the problem, with a cosmetic fix, to a real problem one fret higher. Good you found the issue.