1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

e string clacking?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mutantgoose, Mar 23, 2018.

1. mutantgoose

mutantgoose

Mar 23, 2018
    hey, so i just picked up a ss squier vintage modified jaguar, and im having a bit of trouble. all the strings play really nicely except for the e string, which hits the fretboard when playing and makes a loud "clack." it feels very loose, even when in standard tuning. somebody suggested that i get the neck straightened, but i wasnt sure if i needed to go that far, or if it was just a string brand issue, or maybe a technical problem on my part (wouldnt be surprised). i've tried playing closer to the bridge which seems to help a bit, but like i said, it's very loose. thanks!

2. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Your instrument needs a set up. The E string saddle might be too low. The nut slot may be too low. Maybe your neck needs more relief ( more concave ).

vibroverbus and mutantgoose like this.
  3. vibroverbus

vibroverbus

Mar 20, 2018
    Also possible - unless you did it yourself - somebody put some funky string selection on it. If it came from a guitar shop and say, the E string broke or became unraveled, they'll often throw any old junk on there they got lying around. I've seen some weird stuff hanging on the racks like that. Needs all the things Root says eyeballed, as well as "does this string look like it matches?".

mutantgoose likes this.
  4. Is the string hitting a pole piece on your pick-ups?
    My E-string is a .090" so I had to adjust the setup a bit.

mutantgoose likes this.
  5. mutantgoose

mutantgoose

Mar 23, 2018
    no, it's hitting the fretboard- almost like slap bass, except im not slapping it if that makes sense

6. It does make sense.
    Raise the saddle, and adjust your relief if it's not set as you prefer. Five minutes work.

Oh...and after you've done those things you'll need to adjust that string's intonation. Another three minutes work.

mutantgoose likes this.
  7. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Do you have a rule that measures in 64ths of an inch? In playing position and tuned to pitch, place the rule on the 12th fret beside the E string and measure its height. A general standard is 5/64(low) to 7/64(average) on the E.

To check neck relief: Tune to pitch and put a capo directly over the 1st fret. Press the A string at the fret joining the body and place a feeler gauge at the widest gap between the string and fret ( will be somewhere between 7th-9th fret ). .015" is a general standard. It's a good starting point. If no feeler gauges, press the string at around the 7th to 9th fret, there should be just a small gap when pressed. Some people use business cards but I don't know what their thickness is generally.