1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E-string Clankityclank

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dennis098, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Dennis098

Dennis098

May 3, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey I have an 08 jazz bass and i'm using normal gauge hi-beams. That means my E-string is 100 gauge (the stock was like 115 :eek:)
    Is it reasonable to be getting a lot of fret clankage while riding the E-string?
    I feel like I've played a lot of other basses with much more tension on the E while using normal gauge strings.

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    You should definately try a 105 gauge E string , light strings have a tendency to clank if you have a heavy attack (or if you have low action)

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Not sure what you mean by "the stock is like 115" - if you had a 115 E on that bass before, and you switched to the 100, the nut slot might be too big for it. If the clank is most noticible with the pinky finger on the Ab, you might consider loosening the truss rod just a hair (1/8th of a turn counterclockwise) and see if that helps.

I use 40-95 highbeams on an ESP with no fret clank, but I'm an old wimp with a fairly light touch. You might have better luck with some low riders or EXL 170 D'addarios.