E string doesnt cut through

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SuperSluggard, Aug 11, 2004.

1. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I've noticed that when I play on the E string it doesnt cut through very well. I want all the strings to be heard. And I don't want one to be heard more than the other if i can help it. So heres my (stupid) idea. I give you permission to say something mean if this is a bad idea, haha. Could I put 2 A strings (the same gauge) and 2 D strings (same) on my bass but tune them EADG? So the strings that should be A strings are tuned E and A, while the D strings are tuned D and G. Forgive me if this is a stupid idea, but I've actually been thinking of this for a while.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

sorry, stupid idea. the D which is trying to be the G will be too tight and the A which is trying to be the E will be too loose. try a different brand of strings.
  3. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    +1 on the stupid idea thing. Your neck will hate you so much.

What you need are John Pearse strings. Best on the planet.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i use fender strings cuz im used to them since they came with my bass. have no porblems with em. Fender Super Bass 7250s Nickleplated Steel Roundwounds 0.045 0.065 0.085 0.105
  5. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah thats what I use.

I feel so stupid now.. Ha. maybe replacing the strings will help them all sound more even.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, grab some new strings. What you propose will result in a wildly unbalanced set of strings.
  7. Put a new fresh set of strings and get hold of a compressor and this will even out the levels for each string

8. I had a Gibson SB-350 short scale that did the exact same thing. The problem was in the pickup.
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    To illustrate what this will sound like,,, just tune your A string down to E, so you can see how floppy it'll sound.

The tension will be reduce so much, it'll be almost unplayable. You'll get all kinds of extra noise from the string banging the fb, just try it out... You'll see.
  10. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    yes im beginning to think that is the problem on my jazz bass.
  11. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    You need more equipment, you need to use the strings that I use, stop for a minute and think people. First off Super, have you experienced this problem even after you have changed the strings? if so it could be nothing more than a pick-up and string height adjustment that is needed. And finally, a little adjustment of your eq. can help, say around 50 Hz. Try all of these things out first before spending more money unnecessarily