1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E string falling off bridge - HELP!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by alex_bass_uk, May 9, 2010.

1. alex_bass_uk

alex_bass_uk

Apr 26, 2010
    I've just re-strung my bass and it's been playing fine for the last few days.

During my practice session today the E string popped of the bridge, now I can't get it to stay in place without falling off each time I pluck it.

Any suggestions?

P.S - I know a decent setup is the REAL answer but funds don't quite allow that for at least a month :(

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Go to any hardware store and buy a round file and cut a deeper notch. I bought a set that included a rat tail file for about ten bucks. Be sure the notch is slightly larger than the string diameter and smooth so there are no sharp edges to damage the windings as the string comes over the bridge.

Hopefully the E won't be too low compared to the other strings. I suppose you could glue more maple to the top if needed and basically leave the notch you have.

3. alex_bass_uk

alex_bass_uk

Apr 26, 2010
    Wonderful! Thanks Clink, I was hoping it would be something simple like that :)

4. This is the fix that worked for me. Just remember, even 1 mm can make a big difference.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    So they say, so they say... :D

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    LOL! Size matters...:D