Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E string for Obligatos?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jim Dombrowski, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski

Mar 6, 2000
    Following the advice of many in this group, I just put a set of Obligatos on my '52 Kay. They sound great, but the E string has a much lower output than the rest of the strings.

Any recommendations for an E string with similar tension to the Obligatos that will be a bit louder?

Could this be solved with a soundpost adjustment? This bass was very recently set up by a luthier, including a new bridge, new soundpost, and a fingerboard planing, so I am confident that everything is in good order, but I was wondering if moving the soundpost might help the E string volume?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Dombrowski

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think that fellow bassist Olivier uses a Dominant E to go with his Obligato G, D and A.

HTH.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    gruffpuppy,

Do the Corelli 370's have a similar tension to the Obligatos?

JD

4. I have been meaning to ask the others about this but haven't had the time.

On my Cremora the Corellis had less tension than the Obligatos. I just did a swap last night. So here goes the odd physics of the DB.
    We are talking Arco just FYI

The Obligatos on the ES9 gave me no real volume on the fingered E string. Open E fine but closed nothing. They also had a ton of tension, close to welding rods. I put the Corellis on my ES9, even less tension than when they were on the Cremora, and they speak louder. The Obligatos on the Cremora have much more tension than the Corellis, as in the sound post may be shooting out the back any day (keeping a close eye on that problem.)
    But the Obligatos play like they have less tension and speak very well on the Cremora.

I don't know if you can follow that for I myself in still confused.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    In reply to jim, i confirm that a Thomastik Dominant E gave me more volume when I participated in an outdoor rendition of Ravel's Bolero. Since then I found that A Corelli 370TX forte could also do the job... but right now I'm back with the Dominant E.

I don't know what to say to Gruff...

6. Wish it was the first time I heard that, I think it is because I am still starting out, and still trying to get my ears in better shape. At this time I prefer all the note to ring pretty bright just so it is easier to hear the nuances. The Obligatos sound good but the Corellis are easier to hear from where I am standing. As far as the tension goes, who knows.