1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E-String Hits Pickup Cover while slapping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Juchmaluch, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Juchmaluch

Juchmaluch

Nov 13, 2018
    hey Everyone,

First off im entirely new here so i hope this is posted in the right place.

I recently got a new bass (marcus miller v3 from sire). All the sire basses come with pickup covers. I really like the look and the idea of having a rest for my hand so i installed it. Now i love playing fingerstyle with the cover on but when i slap on the e-string it makes a loud metallic "clunk" as the e-string hits the pu cover. It doesnt happen on the a string and i dont think im hitting the e string to hard (i am still a beginner though but i get the right slap sound with the a string). I installed the cover right over the neck pickup so the position doesnt seem to be the problem. Also i have a very straight neck and have tried lowering the action but if i made it any lower i get fret buzz. The action was also pretty low from the get go (not super low but definitely not high). I was wondering if anybody has similar experiences or has some other advice. I still have the factory strings on the bass and they are a no name product If that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for your help, sorry if my english isnt perfekt im not a native speaker.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    By pickup cover, you mean the big removable chrome thing, not the plastic cover on the pickup itself, right?

Are you sure you're hearing the string hit that, not hitting the pickup? The string hitting the pickup will be a really loud 'clunk' through the amp. Hitting the chrome cover won't be nearly as loud.

Also, your English is better than a lot of people for whom it's their only language.

3. Juchmaluch

Juchmaluch

Nov 13, 2018
    Right the chrome cover. Its definitely the sound of the string hitting that its a metallic sound an the string ist much closer to the cover than the pickup. Thanks for the quick reply

4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm not a slapper (try, but just can't get it), but I can't imagine the string bouncing that high away from the body for it to be the cover. It would be more possible if you were getting the noise on the "pop" rather than the "slap". Take the cover off and see if you still get the noise. I'll bet it's the pickup.

lz4005 likes this.