E string is too loose

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fozzy, Jun 21, 2004.

1. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    E string is to loose, of course I play in dropped C tuning - CGCF !
    Have D'Addario XL nickel round wounds .055 - .110...

Any suggestions on that problem? Different string gauges or maybe different type of strings. And there is a another problem, there is only few available in my area - GHS, D'Addario, Vinci...
    Will appreciate any help! :D
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Buy A 5 string......You're welcome :eyebrow:
  3. Or you could just buy a five string set and use the low B tuned up a half step to get your C and then the regular strings tuned down a step each.
  4. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Is .125 good enought for low string ??
  5. if you're tuning it up to C, .125 or even .120 would be fine.
  6. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Thank You very much! \m/
  7. one more thing, going from a .110 to a .120 might require you to make the nut a little bigger, but if I were you I would try fitting the string first as it might just slide in. If not, try using the bigger string to lightly (read: don't try so hard you crack the nut) sand the nut until the string fits. If that doesn't work and you aren't comfortable filing the nut I would bring it to someone who is. A whole new nut wouldn't really work as you are looking for a normal 4 string set with just a B ( or C) slot where the E goes and the rest normal. If you have any trouble feel free to PM me or do a search through the setup forum, this topic has been covered many times. Good luck.
  8. fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    try loosening your trussrod some. Also when you put the E string on the peg if you put alot of winds on it so it is almost touching the neck of the bass this can make the string tighter i think.
  9. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i tune to a B alot with D'addario Prism ( Super Bright stainless steel ) 110 guage

if your into the snap of them, there killer, and i think there available in 120s, your goin to have to order them though.
  10. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Thank you for suggestions! I will try to fit B string in to the E place, and tune to C... We'll se what happens ... :D