Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E string keeps going out of tune - Help or Advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Philthy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Hi,

I was wondering if any of my fellow talkbassers out there could give me a little help or advice. I have recently put a Hipshot D-Tuner / Bass Xtender on my '93 Stingray 4 string. I tune up before jamming with my band and after about a song or two, I notice that my E string has gone out of tune (a little flat). This is while playing in standard tune....not flipping the lever to drop D. The strings are about 2 months old, so they are definitely broken in. Maybe it has to do with the screw for the tuning key post on the Hipshot? I do hand tighten it periodically to snug it up and it still goes out of tune a bit. Maybe I need to put a little Loctite in there so the screw doesn't come loose. Or maybe it's something else. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    1) Is the string wrapped correctly around the post. An incorrectly wrapped string can slip (thus detuning a little flat). Also, are you familiar with the hipshot (ie, is this your first?). - Yes, the string is wrapped correctly around the post. There are about 2 wraps. This set of strings -D'addarios - were actually changed and installed by a local guitar shop with an excellent tech. This is my first Hipshot product.

2) Assuming 1 is correct, perhaps it's a dud string. Is this the first E string you've used on this hipshot? If not, did the last one slip? - This is the first set of strings I've used with the Hipshot.

3) Mechanically, is the hipshot correct (as far as you can tell)? Did you buy it new? - The Hipshot is correct. It was pretty easy to install and straightforward. I did not buy it new. I bought it from someone on this site who had an extra, new one in the box.

Maybe it is the string. Maybe I need to do another wrap or two around the post when I put my next set of strings on. Maybe I got a bumb Hipshot. Who knows? Thanks for your help, though.

3. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Well, the full story is that I bought this bass a couple of months ago. And at the same time, I bought the Hipshot. So, when I got the bass, I immediately installed the hipshot and then took it to the guitar shop to put new strings and a set up. The strings that came on the bass were definitely a lighter gauge than I have now. So, it's very possible that the thicker gauge could be binding in the nut slot. Maybe I'll try to use a pencil and put a little graphite in the nut slot to see if this helps. The Hipshot tuner, itself, is not a complex piece, so I can't imagine that it could be defective. It's just a post, gear wheel and a screw. That's why I thought maybe a little Loctite in the screw hole would help.

When I jam at home, by myself....not playing too hard, I pretty much stay in tune. It's when I jam with the band....especially with those songs that I use a pick....that throws things out of tune a bit.

Thanks for the help and advice. It's much appreciated.