1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

E string keeps popping out of the nut slot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tegnoto89, Mar 19, 2009.

1. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    My low E keeps sliding out of the slot on the nut when I hit it open. Should I take this in to be repaired, or is this a repair that a relatively inexperienced technician such as myself can take care of?

2. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    Is it a Fender style headstock, or one that has a straight angle? If so, be sure to wind your string to where it comes out at the bottom of the post (someone else may be able to explain better than me)

3. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    How is your technique? My first guess is that your playing is to blame. A pic of the nut would help diagnose your problem.

4. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008

5. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse
    Okay, this is a relatively new bass, so I haven't put new strings in it yet. I don't think it would be my technique (I finger pick), because when I do use a pick, it pops out from relatively light playing; there's no way I could play punk rock without this baby popping out. Anway, here's the pics:

209g57d.

2z7g86v.

sowcp1.

5nkm5f.

296dc1k.

Thanks for the responses! The last one is with it popped out; note my friend Maddie being a fool in the back :p

I know exactly what you mean; lo and behold, the only string that was wound with it finishing at the top is the E string. Hmm

6. Doesn't look like the string is wrapped low enough on the peg. You hardly have any angle at all there.

7. Weimhunter

Weimhunter

Mar 2, 2007
    Mississippi
    String is not wound correct.

8. Timlr

Timlr

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Same opinion as EagleMoon, but also, is it just me or does the groove look a little shallow? Maybe it's just because I'm looking for it...

9. Strings look like they might be a bit too big for the nut. It's also not wound properly.

10. MattMcCue

MattMcCue

Jul 14, 2008
    :eyebrow:

11. You need to rewind it so as it winds it goes down the peg, not up. This will increase downward pressure, preventing it from popping out.

12. Timlr

Timlr

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hah. That's funny. One of the first occasions in which I will choose to use lol. and actually mean it. So lol.

13. doctorus

doctorus

Apr 24, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    I believe adamrobertt is correct; I bet the nut is cut too narrow for that E-string (or the E-string is too big for that slot). Getting more windings on the tuning post wouldn't hurt either, to increase the angle of the string going over the nut.

14. Your string is wound wrong, and you should have at least 3 wraps to get proper pressure on the nut, TuningPost. each new wrap should go BELOW your first wrap.

15. what they said (just in case you needed a little more coercing :D)

16. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    3443730448_fd0874196b_o.

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I recognize that diagram. Good to see it getting some re-use.