1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E string louder than others.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by keiser8339, Aug 22, 2012.

1. I just recently bought a Jackson David Ellefson CBX IV. I love the way this bass plays. Awesome neck, EMG hzs, well balanced - It plays great. But when I hook it up to my amp, the E string over powers the other three with ease. I've tried all I can do to fix this - Raised the pickups up over the A,D and G and lowered it at the E. Eq'ed the hell out of the bass, my head pedal, and sansamp. Changed the strings about three times. Adjusted the compressor on my pedal countless times, and obviously changed the way I play to compensate for E being louder than the others. I have no idea what the hell to do at this point. I really like this bass, and I don't want to send it back, but the thought of just having a bad bass has occurred....Anybody got anything? I'm stumped like a mofo. Thanks in advance.

2. Try it with headphones, if it's not present there, it's the room you're playing in.

3. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    My only guess would have been you have a bad string, but if you already changed them 3 times, sorry.

Please keep us posted as I'm curious what the deal is.

EDIT: I would contact Jackson if I were you to hear their take on it.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    As salamenster says, it could be room acoustics.

Does every note on the length of the E string sound equally loud?

Is the effect the same over both the neck and bridge pickups?

5. I've tried it with headphones, and the same problem happens. Like I said, changed strings three times, and no positive outcome, and just yesterday I diddled with both pickups and to no avail, it still occurred....This is not good.

6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    The only cause I can come up with, is a huge difference in magnetic field between the poles. Just try to feel the field strength by approaching each pole with a screwdriver. They should be equally strong.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd flip the pickup(s) around and see if anything changes.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Those pickups doesn't have separate poles, though. EMG HZ series have bar magnets.

9. I have to confess I don't know much about pedals n stuff. But I'd take them out. Take the system back to the basic bass and amp. Then see what happens. Also, try another amp. You could be focusing on the bass and maybe a component in the amp may have gone. Not all components going will result in it dying.

Just another thought..
    Is an A, played on the E string the same volume as an open A string? (Using the 5th fret, of course)
    Also, take this further and check a 2nd octave "G" on the E string and the open G string. This will iliminate if it's the string and pup, or the tones that make the difference.

10. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    :oops: Oops! :oops: