E string low sustain on G note

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by acmeseed, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Hello,

I have a Fender '64 Vintage Reissue Jazz that sounds great, however G on the E string has very little sustain, it sounds fine when played, but it decays much faster than the others.

I have the action setup fairly low, but I do not get any buzzing or strange sounds. I make sure to give the string a good angle and at 3 turns around the peg. The strings are Rotosound nickel roundwound.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to look at?

I will greatly appreciate your feedback, this bass has become my favorite, but it sucks to have to work around this issue when playing.

PS: I am sure this has been covered many times, I did a Google search as well as a search here, but could not come up with anything specific to the E string on a single note, my apologies if this has been covered before.

2. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    Strange place for a dead spot. I had a MIM J that was a bit weak on the C (3rd fret A string) and of course had the classic dead spot at the 7th fret G string.

The first thing I'd do is to change strings making sure there is no twist to the new strings when you install them. You may want to try a different gauge / brand as well. Oh, and check the neck bolts to make sure they are snug. Tuner screws too. Make sure they're all tight.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    This may sound strange, but switch the positions of the E and A strings.
    The E won't go into the nut slot, but it's only going to be there for 5 minutes, so don't worry about it.
    If the dead note stays at the 3rd fret on the string closest to your head, it's a fret problem.
    If the dead note goes with the E string it's either a resonant frequency issue or a defective string.

acmeseed likes this.
  4. Thanks.

This is a weird spot indeed, the G string does have a less resonant spot around A, but that does not bother me.

I think I'll throw a new E string there tonight and see if that makes a difference, otherwise trying to swap E & A sounds like a good idea.

The kicker is that my wife "forced" me to buy this bass for my birthday last year but I could not warm up to it, mainly because I could not get good tone out of the inexpensive GK amp on site; in recent days I finally managed to dial it in pretty good to the point that now I love the bass.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021