Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E string making 'chorus' doubling sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by keyboardguy, Sep 28, 2005.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hi all,
    I'm setting up my Carvin B4 bass with SD antiquity II Pups.

I setup the bridge and pickup height. Now, when I play the E string, i'm getting a 'chorus' type of sound. This happens with bridge, neck or both pups turned on.

Let me explain the sound I'm getting. If I play the E on, say, the 5th fret, it sounds like TWO strings playing and one of them detuned. (ie one string is playing 100 Hz the other at 98 HZ).

Now, as I go to higher frets the 'beats' increase. Like, at the 5th fret it sounds llike two strings 2-3 beats off. As I go higher, the beats increase. So at the 10th fret, it sounds like maybe 5-6 beats per second difference. At the octave its' even higher.

It always sounds like a chorus in on.

Any thoughts? Could I have a bad E string? Has anyone ever heard of this?

Regards,

Mike

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Are you sure your pickups aren't adjusted too high? What you're describing is pretty much what's supposed to happen if they are.

3. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Hmmm,, I'll lower then more and see.,,,

4. There are a few other things you may look at:
    1) your intonation may be off which can be adjusted at the bridge;

2)it may be a bad string or if a step-wound E it may be due to the way the windings cross your bridge;

3) If you are strung body-through the bridge, sometimes the extreme break angle over the bridge will give a false reference point in front of the bridge that gives off false harmonics. (this can happen also if you have the bridge-piece for intonation adjusted so far back that the string is really bending sharply over it).

The fact that it is ocurring only on the thick string and not the thinner string suggests a string/bridge problem.

As suggested above, if your pickup is too high you could be getting "wolf-tones" which can be eliminated by lowering your p'up.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if its through the body bridge, your string is twisted. i had a few strings do this and i was gettin that same sound, as well as some other wierd overtones. so i started putting it as top loading, and i havent had them problem since.

6. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Well, it seems that the problem was tha the pickup(s) were a little too high. Lowered them about 1/8th inch and it seems fine now. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Mike