E string not staying in tune

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by White Wolf, Oct 1, 2017.

1. White Wolf

White Wolf

Oct 1, 2017
    Hello all. Thank you for taking the time to help out a fellow bass player.
    So I recently put some Robert Trujillo Dunlop signature strings on my bass. The E string just won't tune. When almost to the point of tune, it bounces around between flat and sharp and I just cannot get it tuned. I am by no means a tec head so any advice no mater how simple would be appreciated. I put another E string on to see if it was my bass or strings and the other string tuned fine. Maybe Trujillo strings are just not great? Although I would be surprised if that were the case.
    Thank you for any help at all.

2. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    What kind of tuner are you using ?
    Clip-on at the headstock or one that you plug a cable in ?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Might be a twist in the string? Did you "set your witness points" when installing them? If not, search on "witness points" on here, I won't even try to explain it properly, but it can help. Or it could just be a bad string, does happen rarely.

4. steve66

steve66

Sep 17, 2005
    South Florida
    If you can tune a different string of the same diameter, chances are the string you cannot keep tune is bad. If you changed diameter of string, check the neck nut or bridge pocket where string fits into for proper fit

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021