Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E string on German

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by TizzleNizz, Feb 22, 2004.

1. do you guys who play with German bow have trouble playing the E string? how do you handle it?

2. Practise, practise, practise!

- Wil

3. Yes, Practice is what does the trick. What might help is whenever you is cocentrate on the E string, bow it open until you get a consistent sound on each bow stroke. Then try going from open to stopped notes on the E string, then switching strings. When you face a problem try to "investigate" it see if more weight from your bow arm may help or a slower bow stroke. Most important though, ask your teacher!!!

4. my teacher plays french, i have a german bow.. and want to learn german

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Are you talking about trouble with your bow hand hitting your body when you play the E string? I've found that playing with my endpin higher up and the bass at more of an angle has helped this, although I made that change for other reasons.

6. The way I was taught to compensate for the funny angle which comes from underhand german bowing using my left knee. When you get towards the E string you push the bass away from your body (slightly) with your knee placing the E string more comfertably for german, then let it back to its normal possition when playing on the higher four strings. Although this is ackward at first it only takes a few weeks before it is completely sub-concious, if you make sure to always do it. Also in general with the german make sure to keep your elbow lose, if you stiffen it too much you'll cause some serious damage in your elbow, this is also especially dangerous on the E. I'm not sure if I'm getting my point across, so if you dont understand I can try and clarify.

7. loose as in not locked straight?

8. yes, make bow strokes one fluid motion using your entire arm (wrist, elbow and shoulder).