E string problems!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by paniak17, May 1, 2004.

1. For the first time ever, my string broke, my E-String, I bought Ernie Ball Super Slinky Bass strings Gauges 45-65-80-100, my old E-String was a .95. I restrung it, and I noticed it gave a twangy sound on the lower frets (frets open-8 or so)so i highered my bridge thing and it eleminated it until about fret 7 or 6 then it came back....Do I have to buy new strings with a .95 gauge??? Did i restring it wrong????????I HATE this twangy sound on my E-String!!!! Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
  2. acctually i think my old gauge was .100 now that im looking at it....
  3. and i have a RECITAL on THURSDAY!!!!!!
  4. lowb1970

lowb1970 Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Columbia SC
    Sounds like your old strings might have been a heavier gauge then the super slinkys. If that's the case, then you will have to adjust your truss rod to add some releif to the neck. The slinkys are not as high of a guage and don't pull on the neck as much therefore causing it to be flatter and you are hearing fret buzz. HOpe this helps. For help with your truss rod, ask someone. You can seriously damage your bass by doing this wrong.
    Take care.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Going from a 100 to an 80 can also cause nut problems. Look and see if the string sits extremely low in the nut. If so, you'll either have to buy a bigger E string or replace your nut to take the smaller string gauge.
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It may be worth taking the machine to a bass tech. The relationship between nut slots, fret height, neck relief, bridge height, string tension and your playing style is complex. When you get it adjusted right it's amazing!