Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E string problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bino, Nov 22, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I have a new bass and just strung it with some new strings. I notice that the open E is completely muffled. you get just a hint of attack and then "flub". But when I fret the string starting at the 3rd fret or higher it sounds just fine. I'm inclined to think that the string is too far from the pickup. The bass does have high action and the split P pickup dips quite a bit up top. I didn't measure, but it's probably nearly half and inch from the pickup. Does my hypothesis sound accurate?

2. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I learned the hard way that the first thing to check when you have a problem after having just changed strings is whether the string sits well on both the bridge and nut. This sounds like a nut problem (no offence intended :p ). If the string doesn't sit quite right in the nut, it will not vibrate right when played open, and will sound fine when fretted. I had a problem where the contact with the bridge on the E was not quite right, and it was dead all the way up the fretboard. I worked a little on getting the string to bend over the bridge right, and all was beauty and thunder. Might be the PU height, as you guessed, but that didn't change, did it? Look first at "what changed" and see if the string is firmly in the nut. Hope this solves it...

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Thanks for the advise. I also started thinking last night that it could be the nut. When I played the open E unplugged it buzzes, but when I press down on the string behind the nut the buzzing stops. However, that does change the sound when amplified. So I rewound the string trying to create more of a break and it helped a little, but not completely. This string is a .105, but I think the previous string was .100. Does this mean I probably need to file the nut? Any suggestions on how to widen it a bit?

4. Did you wind it correctly so the strings "coming" from the nut is at the bottom, not the top?

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Gaaaaah! Everyone spells "advice" incorrectly. "Thanks for the advise!" grrrrrr. They could atleast put a "ment" after it so it would also work "Thanks for the advisement" :p... Grawreasdflkjjkljlkjkeyboardagainstheadrrerereralfjl

6. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    If the string is not able to seat at the bottom of the cut in the nut, it might need some widening. If you push down right on the string at the nut, rather than behind the nut, does this stop the buzzing and make it sound right?

Re-filing a nut is a delicate task requiring the right tools (fine rattail files). You might try a search in the "Setup" forum and see if there is some advice on the subject. If you have never done one, it might pay to consult a shop with a good tech.

And, advise the advice-giver that unsolicited spelling advice is not advised. :rolleyes: ;) We're talkin nuts here.