E String Saddle Hum

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Ok...

I put on some new strings today(Lakland Nickel Wounds)

And I really like them...

Except...the E string doesn't go into the little slot on the saddle of the bridge,it sits on top...

Whenever I play a note on the E-string I get like a "rattle" from the bridge...

Now,does anyone know what I should do?

Should I file down the slot so that it'll fit? what do I do?

Thank you...
  2. So you've gone up a guage in strings eh? Yes file it down, but dont go overboard. See how that goes.

3. Ok,thanks man...appreciate it!:bassist:
  4. Well,I tried using sand paper...and I guess it helped a little bit...but now I got a "rattle" coming from my nut:rolleyes:

She's pissing me off,again.
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    May or may not be related but I had a buzz on my Stingray that i couldnt figure out for the life of me where it was coming from. It sounded like the entire string buzzing and it turned out that when I clipped the string it must have jarred some of the coil loose and that caused a nasty buzz across the entire length of the string. I replaced the strings and bent the end before I cut it off and its been good so far. The clipping should be done after the bend in the string. (Thanks again to basswhore for the suggestion)

6. Crap...that may be it...I never thought about that.

I must of clipped the string to short and the "fat" part was shoved into it,and barely fitted into the hole...

Man,I really liked these strings too:(
  7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    As long as your string isnt slipping out of tune you should have enough length at the tuner but I dont think that would cause a buzz. My problem was that I had loosened some of the string coil when I cut the ends and it buzzed along the entire length of the string. Make sure thats your prob before you replace the strings though. It wasnt something I could see but I replaced the strings on a whim. Bent the end and cut at the short side of the bend so the stress of the clip wouldnt run across the string. It did the trick. Good luck...
  8. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    You may also want to check that your string isnt twisted. Just a shot in the dark...

To check this pluck the string in the middle and look down the length of the string. If you see the motion of the string waver then its twisted. Ive had this cauze strange buzzing against the frets. To fix this loosen the string enough so it flaps. Thes take the string at the nut and pinch it between your fingers and then run them all the way down to the bridge so the little ball can move and line up the string properly.
  9. I need a proper set-up I guess:meh:

Or a new bass:D