Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E string saddle wont go down

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Well after playing a couple of basses other than mine, i realized that the stirngs and pickups on my bass were to high, so, i lowered the pickups, and i lowered the a,d, and g strings, but the e string saddle wont move, it wont go up, nor will it go down, is there anything i should do o make it go down :confused:

2. Its a fender bridge, and yes the same adjustment that lowered the other three doesnt work on the E, I will try to get pictures. When I put the allen key inside the saddle the screw wont move.

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Sounds to me like you need a drop of Liquid Wrench in there. This will "unfreeze" threads that are rusted together. If you get the spray stuff, be careful. I'd almost spray it on a completely different surface then transfer it one drop at a time with a toothpick. You don't want that stuff sprayed all over the finish.

4. Thank you, I will try that, and I will let you know.

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Whatever you do, don't:

a) strip those threads

b) strip the inside of the screw (the negative 6-sided place where you put the alan wrench)

c) bust off the wrench inside the screw.

You may need to liberally apply the Liquid Wrench (sometimes WD-40 works just fine, too) and then wait overnight to allow for maximum penetration. Then very gently work that screw.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

6. Sorry for this dumb question but what do you mean by do not strip those threads, and do not strip inside the screw :p

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Just that. Don't strip the actual threads along the outside of the screw. Also, don't strip the inside part where you insert the hex wrench. Both are too easy to do, and either can happen if you apply too much pressure. So, take it easy on them. If it doesn't break loose with just medium pressure, soak it with another couple of drops of Liquid Wrench or WD-40 and let 'er sit overnight again.

8. Woohoo thank you Tim, your method worked =D.

9. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Outstanding. Did you use Liquid Wrench or WD-40?

10. I used WD-40, sprayed it in a film canister, and then used a paint brush to transfer it inside the saddle, and on the screws.

11. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Glad to hear it, b 4 l. Before you put it back together, you should try to remove as much gunk and rust as you can, then apply a light coat of sewing machine oil. That will prevent it from happening again.