Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

E string sounds choked

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've recently finished building a jazz bass from parts. All strung up the thing sounds great and plays pretty good, except for the E string. Open E sounds all right but any fretted note sound real woofy through an amp and has poor sustain. I've done a good setup on the neck and bridge and my dad did a fret leveling job so there should be nothing wrong with how the bass is able to be set up. It's like it's giving me the tone you'd get with super high action, but it's not high action. If I lower it more it will be too buzzy. I'm using the same strings I've always used on other basses, DAddario XLs. I'm fresh out of ideas.

2. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    The only things I can think of are
    1 Are the p/ups too high? - if so, they can choke the sound of the strings, especially when fretted (ie closer to the p/up) Try lowering the p/up at the E end.
    2 Have you got the relief/string height thing correct? If the action is too low the string can sound choked, and if there's not enough relief then you can get the same effect. Good luck

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The pickup height really has no effect on this. I've got a slight amount of forward bow in the neck and the strings are low enough to be comfortable without buzzing. Here's the thing though- even without being plugged in, the E string just feels thuddy and dead with low sustain. When I slap on the E it gives a bunch of overtones without much solid fundamental. I even tried swapping it with the E I've got on my lakland and it was the same, so it's not a bad string. Could it be that I need a different bridge? The one I've got on it now is a gotoh, which appears to be a nice one, but who knows.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The contact point looks like it should. I'd hate to have to use a different brand of strings cause the XLs are so cheap and I get them at a discount.