1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

E string to much hollow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GoldenRivet, Aug 27, 2012.

1. GoldenRivet

GoldenRivet

Aug 27, 2012
    Hi everyone, I have little problem with my Fender Precision MX, E string. Its to much hollow, rude, all string sounds great but except E string. I change strings 2 times, first was been original Fender string, then Dunlop and now Ernie Ball Super Slinky. All of these brands A D G strings sound perfect but except E :( Now I undarstend that problem is in my bass. Griff is perfect, bridge is normal, everything is good but E string is so hollow! Please give me some recommendations :)

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Difficult to diagnose the problem from a short text description but here are some suggestions:

1. Technique--Work with your teacher to make sure you are using proper technique on the E string, it requires slightly different technique & touch compared to the other strings.

2. Setup--A pro tech can give your bass a good setup so it plays and sounds even across the strings. For example adjusting the pickup height can have a big effect. Also you want to look at how the bass is strung, does it have the correct number of wrappings on the peg, have you pressed it down slightly at the bridge so the string "sits" in the saddle?

3. Amp/preamp/EQ/effects--Start with all your settings "flat" (no EQ boost/cut, no effects) and adjust gain settings as recommended in the manual. Then make small adjustments as necessary to get the sound you like, and I recommend to use EQ cuts rather than boosts whenever possible. Personally I find a slight bass cut helps the sound of my E string a lot. Also it goes without saying that the design/size of your amp and speaker cabinets will make a huge impact on your tone! Do you have the hollow E string problem with other basses through your same amp?

Good luck! :)

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Also an obvious question: Are you familiar with the sound of a P Bass? It is a very unique and specific sound with more midrange content than low bass. Lots of us like this sound very much, but if you are expecting a modern, active EQ, piano-like sound from a P Bass, you might be disappointed.

Also are you playing in a band? Because most would agree the P Bass doesn't sound great by itself, but sounds GREAT playing live on on a recording with a band.

4. GoldenRivet

GoldenRivet

Aug 27, 2012
    With my tehnicque everything i think is ok, i don't have a teacher, i practicing by my self, play a few years. Everything sits in the siddle. This is my 3rd bass, yeah, P bass, I also play
    in a band. My band coming soon is little tour in Latvia, I don't know, why my P bass E string is so rude. Alright, tomorow I will record bass sound with video and take it here. Sorry, i go sleep, I got 8 houres onwards by Usa :D

5. ianbebington

ianbebington

Sep 8, 2013
    I had a similar problem with my new Fender Precision which left me thinking I had bought a dud guitar. The problem was fixed pretty easily via internet advice which I am passing on;

Check the neck relief using the E string, mine felt OK (did not buzz) though on checking correctly, the neck was much too straight and needed some relief (bow to the neck). Use a capo or depress the first fret with left hand index finger, then depress the fret where the body joins the neck (16th fret on a precision). If you are using your finger to depress the first fret, use your elbow to depress the string at the bridge end.

Check the neck relief. You should be able to push the edge of a credit card between the fret and string at the 7th fret. This seemed too much relief to me (I like low action) though is actually correct. You may need to adjust the truss rod to achieve this. To give the neck more relief, turn the truss rod tool a quarter turn anti-clockwise. Check the relief, if not achieved, repeat this gradually over a few times and allow the guitar a little time to settle. Do not over tighten a truss rod or continue tightening if too much if resistance is felt (if so take it to a professional). To lower relief turn the tool clockwise.
    Once the correct neck relief is achieved, adjust the string height at the bridge (if required) to achieve the correct height. Use a ruler which splits an inch into 32. The E string should be 4/32's of an inch (2/16ths on my ruler)at the 16th fret (the gap between the string and fret with no capo/finger fretting as previously applied) and 3/32's of an inch at the G string (the A/D should be somewhere in-between).
    Once this has been completed, the guitar should play well, sound pretty even across the fret board and have no hollow sounds on lower strings when played higher up the fret board.
    I hope this helps players with similar problems.

6. E string requires no special technique or different touch...

Look at the pickup height on that side of the strings and the bridge or nut for issues.

7. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    Another Fender with a problem?